Configuration - PostgreSQL iDataAgent
Creating an Instance
Once you install PostgreSQL iDataAgent, you need to create an instance in order to perform your first backup. This automatically creates the following default backupsets, each with a default subclient:
- From the CommCell Browser, navigate to Client Computers | <Client>.
Right-click PostgreSQL, point to All Tasks, and then click New PostgreSQL Instance.
- In the PostgreSQL Create Instance dialog box, perform the following.
- In the Instance Name box, type the name of the instance.
- In the PostGres User Name box, type the user name to access the Postgres application.
- In the PostGres Account Password box, type the Postgres User Account Password and Confirm the Password.
- In the PostGres Confirm Password box, type the Postgres Password to Confirm the Password.
- In the Maintenance DB box, type the name of a system database which is used as Maintenance DB.
- In the Binary Directory box, type the path to the Postgres application. Alternatively click Browse to locate the path.
- In the Lib Directory box, type the path to the library directory for the instance. For example, /opt/PostgreSQL/8.4/lib.
- In the Archive Log Directory box, type the path to the directory where you wish to store the archive log files. For example, /opt/wal. Make sure that this path does not point to pg_log and pg_xlog directories.
- Prior to performing the PostgreSQL backup, specify the Archive Log directory path in the postgresql.conf file.
- From PostgreSQL 8.3 version onwards, use the following command to turn on the archive_mode. This feature is not supported for PostgreSQL 8.2 and earlier versions.
archive_mode = on
For more information, see Configuring the Archive Log Directory.
- In the Port box, type or select the port to open the communication between PostgreSQL Server and the clients.
- In the Log Backup Storage Policy box, select a storage policy to be used for the transaction log backup jobs under Log Backup section.
Configuring Storage Policy:
- From the CommCell Browser, navigate to Client Computers | <Client> | PostgreSQL | <Instance> | DumpBaseBackupSet.
- Right-click the default subclient and then click Properties.
In the Storage Policy box, select the storage policy name.
Proceed to the next page.
If you do not have Storage Policy created, follow the step given below to create a storage policy.
- Click Create Storage Policy.
- Follow the prompts displayed in the Storage Policy Wizard. The required options are mentioned below:
- Select the Storage Policy type as Data Protection and Archiving and click Next.
- Enter the name in the Storage Policy Name box and click Next.
- From the Library list, click the name of a disk library to which the primary copy should be associated and then click Next.
Ensure that you select a library attached to a MediaAgent operating in the current release.
- From the MediaAgent list, click the name of a MediaAgent that will be used to create the primary copy and then click Next.
- For the device streams and the retention criteria information, click Next to accept default values.
- Select Yes to enable deduplication for the primary copy.
- From the MediaAgent list, click the name of the MediaAgent that will be used to host the Deduplication database (DDB).
In the Location box, type the name of the folder in which the DDB must be located or click the Browse to select the folder, and then click Next.
- Review the details and click Finish to create the Storage Policy.