Requesting an Upgrade through the Cloud Services Website: Submitting a Form
Applies to: Upgrades from V10 to V11, Upgrades from V9 to V11
You can request an upgrade by submitting an upgrade request form through the Cloud Services website. The form must include a copy of the CommServe database dump from your most recent disaster recovery (DR) backup.
This method is useful if the CommServe computer is in a lock down environment with no Internet access. You can copy the database dump to a computer that can connect to the Cloud Services website.
When you submit the form, the CommServe database is uploaded to the cloud, where we run the preupgrade checks and determine whether you are ready for an upgrade. The results are provided in the Preupgrade Readiness report, which is sent to you in an email.
If your CommServe database fails one or more preupgrade checks, the report provides a list of corrective actions. When the database passes all the preupgrade checks, an authorization code is sent to you to validate your upgrade to V11. The authorization code expires in 30 days.
Before You Begin
To provide the latest database dump, you must perform a disaster recovery backup:
- From the CommCell Browser, right-click the CommServe and click All Tasks > Disaster Recovery Backup.
- In the Disaster Recovery Options dialog box, click OK.
- After the job finishes, go to the DR backup folder and copy the dump file to a computer that can connect to the Cloud Services website.
Tip: The DR backup folder is specified in the DR Backup Settings dialog box, which you can access from the CommCell Console's Control Panel. The dump file is located under a folder name SET_nnn. Use the folder with the highest nnn number.
- In your Web browser, go to https://cloud.commvault.com/upgraderequest/.
- Enter the information requested in the Request Upgrade to V11 form and click Check Upgrade Eligibility.
Tip: The CommCell ID can be found in the License Administration dialog box of the CommCell Console's Control Panel.
- If your CommCell is not eligible, follow the instructions provided by the form.
- If your CommCell is eligible, the form will request additional information, such as the type of request and the location of the CommServe database dump file.
Refer to the following table for more information on the Request Type that you should select:
Partner assisted upgrade
Use this option if a certified partner is assisting you with the upgrade. Make sure to include the email address of the certified partner in the Commvault/Partner Contact Email box.
Professional Services assisted upgrade
Use this option if Professional Services is assisting you with the upgrade. Make sure to include the email addresses of the Professional Services personnel in the Commvault/Partner Contact Email box.
If you want to receive a quote for the assisted upgrade, make sure to add a note in the Comments section asking that someone calls you to scope your needs. The message will be sent to the Professional Services team for a follow-up.
Self-upgrade with Support Contact
Use this option if you plan to perform the upgrade on your own. If necessary, include the email addresses of the sales or partner contact in the Commvault/Partner Contact Email box.
- Verify the confirmation email.
A confirmation email is sent to you within a few minutes of the upgrade request. The email will look similar to this sample email.
If you do not receive a confirmation email, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Confirm the receipt of the Preupgrade Readiness Report. If you received an upgrade approval email, go to Step 6.
The report is sent as an email within 24 hours of the upgrade request. The email will look similar to this sample email.
If you do not receive the report, send an email to email@example.com.
- Analyze and fix the issues identified in the Preupgrade Readiness Report.
The report provides the necessary corrective actions for each of the preupgrade checks that failed. To see the most common errors and their respective workarounds, see Troubleshooting Errors Found During a Request an Upgrade or Test Upgrade.
After the issues are fixed, perform another DR backup and repeat the previous steps to resubmit the upgrade form.
- Confirm the receipt of the upgrade approval email.
If the CommServe database passes all the preupgrade checks, you will receive an email indicating that your upgrade is approved. The email includes the authentication code along with the instructions to apply the code to your database. The email will look similar to this sample email.
Important: You have 30 days to upgrade the CommServe computer. If you do not upgrade within 30 days, you must repeat the request for upgrade operation again.
What to Do Next
- Review the service-level agreement (SLA) information.
The upgrade approval email also included the current SLA value for a specified number of days (for example, 83% for the last 7 days). We recommend that you check whether the jobs in your CommCell meet the SLA value displayed in the report.
- Start the CommServe Upgrade process.
Last modified: 1/9/2018 8:03:29 PM