Support for VMware Cloud on AWS
You can deploy Commvault to protect workloads running in VMware Cloud on AWS. The vCenter and hosts reside on high-performance servers in the AWS datacenter.
- The CommServe system (CS) is the machine running Commvault software.
- The Virtual Server Agent (VSA) manages backups and restores for virtual machines.
- The MediaAgent (MA) handles data movement.
VMware Cloud on AWS operates in the same way as an on-premises deployment of VMware, except that AWS does not provide access to hosts.
- vSAN is used as a shared datastore.
- SDDC versions: 1.3, 1.5, 1.6
For best results, use the Elastic Network Interface (ENI) to back up data to AWS S3 libraries. Using the ENI Network Tunnel avoids incurring unnecessary traffic costs.
For more information, see VMware Cloud on AWS.
Commvault Deployment and Configuration
For best results, deploy Commvault components on guest VMs on VMware Cloud. The CommServe software, VSA proxies, and MediaAgents can be installed on a single standalone VM, or on separate VMs.
- Create a virtualization client, entering the fully qualified domain name (FQDN) for the vCenter host name.
Use firstname.lastname@example.org as the vCenter username.
- Deploy Virtual Server Agent (VSA) proxies as virtual machines running in the VMware Cloud on AWS.
- Add virtual machines to a subclient that is used as a target for backups.
- Configure backups to use S3 libraries for storage.
- For IntelliSnap backups, configure the VSA subclient to use Virtual Server Agent Snap as the snap engine. For more information, see IntelliSnap Protection for VMs on VVol or VSAN Datastores.
- To perform agentless file recovery operations, enable communication between the VMware Cloud Compute Gateway (CGW) and the VMware Management Gateway (MGW). This is not a default configuration for VMware Cloud on AWS. From the VMware Cloud on AWS portal for SDDC 1.6 or 1.7, perform the following operations on the Networking & Security tab:
- For Inventory>Groups, define a Management Group that includes the IP addresses for the compute network where VSA proxies reside.
- For Security>Gateway Firewall, add a firewall rule for the Management Gateway that allows outbound traffic from the management group you defined to ESXi hosts using TCP port 443.
Commvault Version 11, Service Pack 11 and later, supports the following features with VMware Cloud on AWS:
- Backups and restores using vStorage APIs for Data Protection (VADP)
- Changed block tracking (CBT)
- Full, incremental, differential, and synthetic full backups
- Restores of full VMs, VMDKs (alone or attaching to a VM), and guest files and folders
- Agentless file recovery (with SDDC Version 1.5 or a more recent version)
- Application-aware backups
- VM conversion from VMware to Amazon
- Because there is no access to hosts, the following Commvault features are not supported for VMware Cloud on AWS:
- Live VM recovery using vMotion
- Live mount
- Only HotAdd transport mode is supported. SAN and NBD transport modes do not work with VMware Cloud on AWS.
Last modified: 5/13/2019 7:17:15 PM