Enabling Ransomware Protection on MediaAgents
Commvault software provides the ability to protect all mount paths associated with disk libraries configured from a MediaAgent against Ransomware attacks.
About This Task
- When Ransomware protection is enabled on a MediaAgent, any other application, like a Ransomware running on the MediaAgent, will not be allowed to modify, delete or access the files on both the locally attached mount paths and the network mount paths.
- To ensure full protection of data on a network mount path, the network share should have restricted permissions with only a specific Commvault backup user with write, modify and delete permissions.
This Commvault backup user credentials should be used to configure the Commvault disk library mount path.
All MediaAgents accessing this share should have Ransomware protection enabled.
To reiterate, make sure that no other user, other than this specific backup user (not even an admin) has write, modify or delete permissions on this network share.
- Note that this feature is applicable for Windows MediaAgents with V11 SP6 and higher.
- From the CommCell Browser, expand to Storage Resources > MediaAgents.
- Right-click the appropriate MediaAgent and click Properties.
- Click the Advanced tab.
Note: This tab will be displayed for Windows MediaAgents with access to a mount path.
- Select the Ransomware protection check box.
This will enable write-protection from Ransomware on all mount paths associated with disk libraries configured in the MediaAgent within a few minutes - a maximum of 30 minutes based on the Interval (Minutes) between disk space updates parameter established in Media Management Configuration: Service Configuration.