Predefined Workflow - Restoring Domain Controllers in an Active Directory Forest
The Active Directory Forest Restore workflow is a predefined workflow to sequence the restore of multiple domain controllers including the system state data if a disaster occurs. Administrators can configure the Active Directory Forest Restore workflow from the CommCell Console.
Download this workflow from the Commvault Store. See Download Workflows from Commvault Store.
This workflow can be manually executed from the CommCell Console. The Active Directory Forest Restore workflow uses the most recent full system state backup and restores the data in-place on the client computer. You can also use the workflow to restore data to several computers at the same time.
Before You Begin
To restore the system state data, you must occasionally perform full backups of your client computer along with the system state data. For more information on how to configure and full backups, see Configuring System State Backups Using the Windows File System Agent and Backing Up the Windows File System Subclients.
How Does It Work?
This predefined workflow automates the following operations:
- Takes the latest system state backup and restores the domain controllers and other system state data in-place on your client computer.
- When the backup and restore operations are successful, the workflow sends an email to the user that executed the workflow.
If the restore operation fails, the workflow sends a message to the Job Controller indicating the job ID of the operation.
- From the CommCell Browser, go to Workflows.
- Right-click Active Directory Forest Restore and then click All Tasks > Execute.
- Select the workflow engine from the Run workflow on list and enter the value of the following variables in the Active Directory Restore Options dialog box:
- In the Domain Controller machines box, enter the fully qualified computer name. If there are multiple domain controllers, enter all the computer separated by a comma.
- Select the Simulate restore, only restore C:\program files\desktop.ini file check box to restore only the desktop.ini files. System state data or other files will not be restored.
- Select the Restore System State only check box to restore only the system state data and the Active Directory database. No other files will be restored.
- Click OK.
You can track the progress of the workflow job from the Job Controller. You will see a job for each activity in the workflow, for example, backup, restore.
- Once you receive an email indicating that the workflow was successful, verify that the backed up files and folders are available in the client computer.