Creating an Automatic Schedule for Database Log Backups
Applies to: Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle, Oracle RAC, SAP for Oracle, Notes Database traditional log backups
Create an automatic schedule to automatically run a database log backup when specific criteria are met, for example, run a backup when the archive log destination fills up to a specified capacity.
Automatic backups of database log files use the data protection resources more efficiently because they only run backup jobs when there is enough data to back up. A non-automatic schedule runs the backup at the specified date and time, even if there is not enough data to back up.
Take the following into consideration when plan your log backup schedule:
- The number of transactions that the database generates
- The disk size for the log file destination
The Minimum Interval Between Jobs parameter ensures that the software does not frequently run the job. The software does not check the database threshold options during this interval.
The Maximum Interval Between Jobs parameter ensures that the software backs up the logs even when the database threshold options have not been met. For example, if the parameter is set to 24 hours and the software has not run an automatic log backup in that time, the software will start a backup without checking the database options.
When the minimum interval expires, the software checks to see if the database qualifies for a backup based on the log disk usage.
When the maximum interval expires, the software checks to see if the database has been backed up. The software looks at the finish time and if it happened during the minimum interval.
If you assign this schedule type to a subclient that has no backups prior to the assignment, the first backup runs irrespective of the database threshold options.
The following best practices apply to all the agents:
- Set a low minimum interval. For example, set a minimum interval of 15 minutes.
- Set a maximum interval that is less than the time interval between running two backup
- Set the option to back up when the log destination fills up to 50%-80%. The actual value depends on your storage size.
The Commvault software checks for the automatic backup thresholds at the minimum interval and initiates the backup job if the threshold is met.
You can also configure a schedule policy for automatic database log backups. For information on how to configure a schedule policy, see Adding an Automatic Database Log Backup Schedule to a Schedule Policy.
Best Practice: For some agents, the Commvault software creates a default archive log subclient, such as Oracle. Do not modify the properties of the default archive log subclient.
- From the CommCell Browser, expand Client Computers >client > agent > instance.
- Right-click the subclient configured for the archive log backup and then click Backup.
The Backup Options for Subclient dialog box appears.
- On the General tab, select Schedule, and then click Configure.
The Schedule Details dialog box appears.
- In the Schedule Name box, enter a unique name for the schedule.
- Select Automatic.
- In the Minimum Interval Between Jobs box, enter the minimum time to start the job.
Note: When this time expires, the Commvault software checks the criteria and automatically starts a backup if any of the criteria are met.
- In the Maximum Interval Between Jobs box, enter the maximum time to start the job.
Note: If this value is met, the job starts regardless of whether the database criteria are met.
- Select the criteria to use to run backup jobs:
SAP for Oracle
To run backup jobs when the number of log files on the disk use a specified amount of the storage space, select the Start backup when disk at log destination is option.
To run backup jobs when the number of log files on the disk reach a specified number, select the Number of Archived Logs in Destination option.
To run backup jobs when the used space of log file reached specified percentage, select the Start backup when the log file is option.
Note: Only databases that use the full recovery model are eligible for the automatic log backups.
- Click OK to close the Schedule Details dialog box.
Last modified: 6/29/2018 1:00:48 PM