System Requirements for Live Sync I/O
This topic summarizes requirements for Live Sync I/O.
To avoid delays in replication, implement the following best practices:
- Use a low latency network.
- Provide enough cache space and a fast storage connection to the cache on the VSA proxy at the source site.
- Provide a fast storage connection to the RP Store.
- Provide enough storage for the RP Store.
- Timestamps must be synchronized between VSA proxies and ESXi hosts.
For detailed requirements, see System Requirements for Virtual Server Agent with VMware.
vCenter and ESXi Requirements
- vCenter Server version: 6.5
- ESXi memory requirement for each VM: 100MB
- On the ESX cluster, vSphere High Availability (vSphere HA) must be configured and vSphere Distributed Resource Scheduler (DRS) must be enabled.
- Two VSA Proxies: One at the source site and one at the destination site.
- MediaAgent should be present on the destination proxy.
- Low latency network between the proxies, preferably 10 Gigabit Ethernet, depending upon I/O loads.
- The destination requires a fast storage connection to the Recovery Point Store (RP Store).
Virtual Machine Disks
Before configuring a source VM for Live Sync I/O, ensure that the VM storage policy in vSphere is set to Datastore Default for all disks.
Proxy Computer Operating Systems
- Microsoft Windows Server 2016
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 x64 Editions
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012 x64 Editions
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 Editions
Note: Linux proxies are not supported.
Plug-In Installation or Upgrade Requirements
VMware vCenter Server Privileges
- Ensure that vCenter permissions are configured correctly as described in Permissions for Custom User Accounts.
- The VMware vCenter Server user account used to install plug-ins must have administrator privileges for installation or upgrade.
- For each ESX host, ensure that the acceptance level is CommunitySupported. Other acceptance levels are not supported.
Licenses and Features Enabled
- During installation or upgrade of the Commvault plug-in, ESX servers go into maintenance mode, which requires that vSphere High Availability (vSphere HA) is configured and vSphere Distributed Resource Scheduler (DRS) is enabled.
- Plug-ins must be part of protected and replicated data centers (ESX clusters).
Source Proxy Cache Requirement
- Cache location: Job Results directory
Provide network bandwidth based on the estimated I/O speed. For example:
- Protected VMs: 10
- Rate at which each VM performs I/O: 100 MB/s
- Preferred Network Speed: 1000 MB/s
Preferred Recovery Point Store (RP Store) Requirement
Size the RP Store based on I/O throughput and RP Retention criteria. For example:
- RP Store I/O throughput: 100 MB/s
- Total Retention Time (hours): 5 Hrs
- RP Store size: 1800000 MB (1.72 TB)
Firewall Port Requirements
For environments that include a firewall, open the following ports:
- For ESXi servers on the source site, open port 38403.
- For ESXi servers on the destination site, open port 38404.
These ports are used by the BLR service to communicate with VAIO daemons.
Last modified: 5/17/2019 7:26:40 PM