Enabling Spool Copy
A spool copy is used as a temporary holding area for protected data until the data is copied to an active synchronous copy. We recommend to enable spool copy option on a copy that has disk library configured, and there are limited resources and capacity available on the disk. Spool copy has a retention rule of 0 days and 0 cycles. Hence, when an Auxiliary Copy job is run:
- All the data (backup jobs) on the spool copy is copied to the secondary copy.
- The data on the spool copy is pruned immediately and the space on the spool copy is available for the new backup jobs.
Consider the following before enabling a spool copy:
- A primary copy or secondary copy can be defined as a spool copy only when there is an active synchronous copy for the storage policy.
- Spool Copy feature is not supported on storage policy copies enabled with Deduplication or Silo Storage.
- The DDB backup jobs ignore the spool copy retention rules, and follows the DDB backup pruning. See DDB Backup Pruning Process for more information.
- For NAS data backed up using IntelliSnap backup: For NAS NetApp and Isilon NAS agents, 1 job is retained when the primary snap copy is configured with spool retention. Other agents have the retention rule set to 0 days and 0 cycles.
Note: Deduplication enabled storage policy copies cannot be configured as spool copies.
Synchronous Copy, Selective Copy, Inline Copy, Parallel Copy, Snapshot Copy and WORM Copy.
- Before enabling spool copy option on a storage policy copy, ensure that the storage policy copy is assigned as a source to another active synchronous copy.
See Specify the Source for the Copy for instructions.
- From the CommCell Browser, go to Policies > Storage Policies ><Storage Policy>.
- Right-click the storage policy copy that was assigned as a source, and click Properties.
- In the Copy Properties dialog box, click the Retention tab, click Spool Copy (No Retention), and then click OK.
A message appears that tells you that enabling spool copy will age data as soon as the Auxiliary Copy job is run.
- Click Yes to continue.
Last modified: 9/5/2019 8:49:53 PM