Considerations for Installing 32-Bit Software on 64-Bit Windows Computers
Before enabling 32-bit installations on a 64-bit Windows computer, review the following requirements and limitations.
If the 64-bit computer where you plan to install a 32-bit agent has other Commvault software installed, you must install the 32-bit agent on a new Commvault instance. You can have 32-bit and 64-bit agents running on the same computer, but they must be installed on separate instances.
For more information, see Enabling Multi-Instance Installations.
Tip: You can install a 32-bit agent on a new instance from the CommCell Console. During the remote installation, you can select the options to install 32-bit agents and to install in a new instance.
Windows File System Agent
The 32-bit version of the agent does not support the following operations:
- VSS backups and restores.
- System state backups.
- Full system restores for RSM, RSS, Terminal Services, and disk quota.
If you want to install both 32-bit and 64-bit Exchange agents on a 64-bit computer, use the following approach:
- Install the 64-bit agent.
- Install the 32-bit agent on a separate instance.
The new instance contains the 32-bit MAPI-based Exchange agents. You can use the 32-bit MAPI-based Exchange agent along with 64-bit Exchange agents.
If you plan to install a 32-bit MAPI-based Exchange agent, you must satisfy the following requirements:
- You must have the 32-bit version of Microsoft Outlook 2007 or later installed on the computer where the agent will be installed.
- If you plan to install the OWA Proxy Enabler on a separate instance to support the functionality for 32-bit Exchange agents, the client name that you specify during the installation must be the same as the client hosting the 64-bit instance.
SQL Server Agent
The 32-bit version of the SQL Server Agent does not support VSS backups and restores.
Last modified: 8/14/2019 8:46:37 PM