Configuring a Subclient for Block-Level Backups Using IntelliSnap
By default, block-level backups are performed using the native snapshot engines. You can also use hardware snapshot engines to perform block-level backups.
If an IntelliSnap backup operation on the native snapshot engine is in a pending or suspended state, or is killed, a snapshot clean-up is not performed immediately. To remove the un-useful snapshots, you must delete the snapshots manually or run a data aging job.
Before You Begin
Block-level backups cannot be run on root file system. 1-Touch and block-level backup features cannot be enabled on a subclient at the same time.
- From the CommCell Browser, expand Client Computers > Client.
- Right-click the client and then click Properties.
- In the Client Computer Properties dialog box, click Advanced.
- In the Advanced Client Properties dialog box, select the Enable IntelliSnap check box, and click OK.
- From the CommCell Browser, expand Client > File System.
- Right-click the backup set, point to All Tasks, and then click New Subclient.
- Click Advanced.
- In the Advanced Subclient Properties dialog box, click the Advanced Options tab.
- On the Advanced Options tab, select the Optimized for File system with large number of small files(Block Level Backup) check box.
- To perform a faster file-level browse and restore, select the Create File level Index during backup check box.
Depending on the data scan type selected, backups might take longer when you enable this option. Selecting Optimized Scan reduces the overall snapshot backup duration because the scan phase runs faster.
- On the IntelliSnap Operations tab, select the IntelliSnap check box.
- Select a Snap Engine from the Available Snap Engines list.
- From the Use Proxy list, select the MediaAgent where IntelliSnap and backup copy operations will be performed.
When performing IntelliSnap backups using the proxy, verify that the proxy server is either installed with the same operating system version, or later, as the client computer.
- If you want to perform backup copy operations in a different MediaAgent, click Use Separate Proxy for Snap to Tape, and then select the MediaAgent from the Proxy list.
- Select additional options as appropriate for subclient creation and click OK.
Last modified: 3/1/2018 5:12:42 PM