Creating a Subclient for OpenStack
To provide protection for a specific set of instances, create a new subclient. A user-defined subclient can identify instances that have the same Service Level Agreement (SLA) or that need to be backed up on the same schedule.
Default Subclient Coverage for Unprotected Instances
The default subclient is preconfigured to back up all instances that are not protected by other subclients.
When you create a virtualization client or a backup set, a default subclient is created automatically, and all instances from the configured OpenStack deployment are automatically included in the default subclient content. This setting ensures that all instances will be included in backup operations.
To prevent duplicate backups of instances, any instances that are included in a user-defined subclient are automatically excluded from the default subclient. (Duplicate backups still occur if an instance is included in multiple user-defined subclients.)
In an OpenStack deployment, at least one subclient should be able to cover unprotected instances. If you disable this feature for all subclients, some instances might not be backed up.
When the default subclient is created, the Contents of subclient list in the Content tab displays All unprotected instances as the content Type. That entry indicates that all instances from the keystone node that are not included in any other subclient in the backup set will automatically be backed up by the default subclient.
To remove the default coverage, you can delete the All unprotected instances entry.
If you remove all entries from the Contents of subclient list, All unprotected instances appears in the list again.
Before You Begin
- From the CommCell Browser, navigate to Client Computers > virtualization_client > Virtual Server > Openstack.
- Right-click a backup set and then click New Subclient.
- On the General tab, enter the Subclient name.
- Identify instances to back up:
- Click the Content tab.
- Click Browse, then navigate to one or more instances and select them.
- Click OK.
The selected instances or rules are displayed in the Contents of subclient list.
- On the Storage Device tab, select a Storage Policy.
- To specify proxies to be used for backups of the subclient, click the Advanced Options tab and add the proxies to be used.
If you do not specify proxies at the subclient level, the proxies specified at the instance level are used.
- Click OK.
- In the Backup Schedule dialog box, click Do Not Schedule, and then click OK.
Last modified: 1/18/2019 4:02:48 PM