Configuring RMAN Backup Copy Using Proxy for ASM Databases
When data is moved from snap to media, the RMAN backup interface is used for block level backup operations. Also, these backup operations are recorded on the RMAN catalog. RMAN is required in the case of Automatic Storage Management (ASM) Oracle Databases, since ASM data is not available on the file system. You can also run RMAN restores/reports from these backups.
Before You Begin
- Both source and proxy machine should have the same O/S resources like directory structure, memory, and kernel.
- The Oracle iDataAgent must be installed on the proxy computer.
- The Oracle instance (RDBMS) on the proxy computer should have the same name as that in the source computer.
- The Oracle version installed on the proxy and source computers should be compatible. However, the major version of Oracle should be the same.
- For backups involving ASM instances, both ASM and the RDBMS instances have to be configured on the proxy computer.
- The ASM instance and RDBMS instance should be started.
- Also RDBMS and ASM instances should be configure on commcell GUI for PROXY client.
- Using ASM storage, ASM data group should not be same as source database. For example, if source ASM instance has a disk group “DG1”, proxy machine should not use “DG1” as disk group name.
Use the following SQL Script to find data group names on both source and proxy computers:
SQlPLUS# select name,total_mb,free_mb from v$asm_diskgroup;
- The catalog user and the catalog database must be the accessible by the source and the proxy Oracle instances.
- Make sure the software has permissions to create a disk group on proxy machine similar to source.
- The proxy and source computer should have the same directory structure e.g. dump, diagnostic and data directories.
- Oracle database requires the ASM to be registered with Oracle Cluster Registry (OCR), since the ASM instance is a resource in CRS repository. It will ensure that the RMAN has successfully mounted the disk group.
- Confirm Oracle Version is same on both Proxy and Source.
SQL*Plus: Release 126.96.36.199.0 Production.
- Copy spfile<SID>.ora from source to target for both ASM instance and RDBMS instance.
- Create a user for proxy ASM instance with SYSASM, SYSOPER previleges.
Grid@powerstar>sqlplus "/ as sysasm" SQL> create user ASMDBA identified by test01;
SQL> grant SYSASM, SYSOPER to ASMDBA;
SQL> select * from v$pwfile_users;
USERNAME SYSDBA SYSOPE SYSASM
—————————— —— —— ——
SYS TRUE TRUE TRUE
ASMDBA FALSE TRUE TRUE
- Startup the ASM instance and RDBMS instance.
- Configure the ASM instance and RDBMS instance from the CommCell Console for proxy.
Once configured, you can run inline or offline backup copy jobs on the CommCell Console.
Last modified: 8/28/2018 3:52:20 PM