IntelliSnap - Best Practices - Oracle RAC
- IntelliSnap backup for Oracle databases will fail if the mount points are created as symbolic links; so ensure that a mount point is a directory created on the client computer and not a symbolic link.
- Consider the following for ASM-based IntelliSnap backups:
- The backup copy is always performed using RMAN.
- For ASM-based IntelliSnap backups or backup copy operations, when the IntelliSnap backup option is enabled for a RDBMS instance for a subclient, the Use RMAN for Tape Movement option is not selected by default. As a work around for this issue, refresh the Client properties, or select the Use RMAN for Tape Movement option before saving the subclient properties.
- When IntelliSnap is enabled for a subclient, the Use RMAN for Backup Copy option is not selected by default. As a workaround for this issue, refresh the Instance properties or select the Use RMAN for Backup Copy option before saving the subclient properties.
- Before executing the first ASM-based IntelliSnap backup or Backup Copy job, run the following commands, to create the kfed utility. After you create the kfed utility, make sure that it is accessible by adding it to your PATH environment variable.
gmake -f ins_rdbms.mk ikfed;
- Perform an inline backup copy operation prior to modifying the Oracle database schema. This will avoid any backup copy failures due to changes in Oracle database schema.
- If you want to use cross machine auxiliary instance for table level restores from snapshot, make sure that you do not have the database whose name is the same as the source database.
- When you perform a IntelliSnap backup, make sure to disable the SSKIPBACKUPBROWSE Registry key.
- It is recommended to avoid using first four letter (A-D) drives for Oracle databases.
- Make sure that you have free drive letters on proxy computer identical to source drives where source database resides.
- Make sure that the mount folders on proxy do not have any content.
- It is recommended to disable the Automount option for windows platforms.
- When you perform a IntelliSnap backup, do not use the same mount point or same LUN for data and logs.
Last modified: 1/9/2018 1:32:42 PM