Configuring Subclients for SAP Oracle Log Backups
You use archive logs backups to recover database transactions that have been lost due to an operating system or disk failure or to recover lost database transactions.
You apply the archive logs to an online backup to recover the database.
When you perform an IntelliSnap backup, select the Use Traditional Backup for Logs check box to have the software run a traditional backup of the logs after the IntelliSnap data backup is complete. Use this option when you want to reduce the total number of snapshots that are taken during the backup operation. When you use this option with the snap optimization feature (see Optimizing IntelliSnap Backups), the number of snapshots is reduced. The Use Traditional Backup for Logs check box is only available when you have selected the IntelliSnap check box on the IntelliSnapOperations tab.
Best Practice: Create separate subclients to back up log files because they are mandatory for recovering data.
Note: If the archive log destination is different than the default $SAPDATA_HOME/saparch location, set the <SID>_sSAPARCH additional setting to enable the CommCell Console backup to obtain the new SAPARCH location.
The following table describes the available backup interfaces.
The software locks the Oracle database until the backup completes.
The software locks the entire Oracle database until the backup completes.
The software locks each volume that is being backed up and releases it when the backup completes.
Before You Begin
- From the CommCell Browser, expand Client Computers > client > SAP for Oracle.
- Right-click the instance, point to All Tasks and then click New Subclient.
The Create New Subclient dialog box is displayed.
- On the General tab, in the Subclientname box, enter a name for the subclient.
- On the Content tab, clear the Data check box.
- In the Backup Device section, select the backup interface.
- On the Log Backups tab:
- Select the Backup Archive Log check box.
- Optional: Select the Archive Delete check box to delete the logs after the backup completes.
- Optional: Select the Disable Switch Current Log check box to disable log switching for the current redo log.
- Optional: Select the Archive Log Second Copy check box to create a second copy of the archived offline redo log files.
- Optional: To run a traditional log backup after the data backup completes, select the Use Traditional Backup for Logs check box.
The Job Controller first displays a snap backup job for data. Once this job completes, The software automatically starts an incremental log backup.
Note: This option disables the Selective Online Full check box on the Content tab.
Select the IntelliSnap check box on the IntelliSnapOperations tab.
If you select this option and try to restore the data by using a copy precedence, the restore job fails. For more information, see SAPOR0001.
- On the IntelliSnap Operations tab.
- Select the IntelliSnap check box.
- From the Available Snap Engines list, select the appropriate engine.
- On the Storage Device tab, from the Log Storage Policy list, select the storage policy name for the log backups.
- Optional: Run scripts before or after the backup.
You can choose to run the post-process script even if the backup job failed.
On the Pre/Post tab:
- In the Pre-Backup Command box, type the full path name for the script.
- In the PostBackup Command box, type the full path name for the script.
- To run the post backup process regardless of the job's outcome, select the Run Post Process for all attempts check box.
- Click OK to close the Creating New Subclient dialog box.
Last modified: 10/15/2018 1:01:08 PM