Creating a Smart Client Computer Group
Smart client computer groups are created using predefined rules. Based on these rules, existing or new client computers are automatically added to the smart client computer group. Clients are automatically removed from a smart client computer group if they no longer meet the criteria defined in the rules.
About This Task
The owner of the smart client computer group must have the following permissions:
- The Agent Management permission on the client computers that will be automatically added to the smart client computer group.
If the owner does not have permission on a client, the client is not added to the smart client computer group even if it meets the criteria defined in the rules.
Tip: If you create a smart client computer group but you do not have the correct permissions, you can assign another user or user group to be the owner. If you assign a user as the owner, you must enter the user's password.
- For the permissions needed to add clients to or remove clients from a client computer group, see User Security Permissions and Permitted Actions by Feature.
Best Practice: Assign a user group as the owner of the client group. Because the required permissions are at the user group level, the client group is not affected if an individual user is deleted or has permissions removed.
The following procedure creates a smart client computer group where the following types of clients will be automatically added:
- DB2 agents
- Oracle agents
- From the CommCell Browser, right-click Client Computer Groups and then click New Group.
The Create New Client Group dialog box appears.
- In the Group Name box, type a name for the group, and in the Description box, type a brief description.
- Select the Automatic Association check box.
- To assign another user or a user group as the owner, do the following:
- Click Change.
The Owner dialog box appears.
- Click the user or user group with the correct permissions and click OK.
- If you chose a user as the owner, in the Enter Password dialog box, enter the user's password.
- Click Change.
- Under Rule Group, click Add Rule Group and add a rule for each agent:
- Select Agents Installed, any in selection, and DB2.
- Select Agents Installed, any in selection, and Oracle.
For a list of all of the available rules, see Rules Available for Smart Client Computer Groups.
- From the Match list, click Any.
- To view the clients that will be grouped according to your rule, click Preview.
- In the Preview Results dialog box, click Close.
- Click OK to create the smart client computer group.
The client computer group is available under the Client Computer Groups node. To see the clients that were added to the client computer group, right-click the client_computer_group and click All Tasks > Refresh.
Last modified: 6/27/2019 6:54:38 PM