Creating an Incident on ServiceNow Workflow
The Demo_ServiceNowCreateIncident workflow is a predefined workflow that is run automatically when the data restore operation fails. An alert must be configured to trigger this workflow. The workflow creates records (containing failure details) on the ServiceNow SaaS platform if the data restore operation fails. The records are written to an incident table in ServiceNow. An email can be configured to automatically send the summary of the restore operation failure to the CommCell administrator for further action.
ServiceNow is a platform-as-a-service (PaaS) provider of Service Management(SM) software for an enterprise. ServiceNow platform is used to manage tasks such as IT requests, approval flow management, and so on. ServiceNow maintains all the information in the form of table and records. Use Commvault workflow activities to integrate with ServiceNow so that your workflow can use the ServiceNow service management services.
You can create custom ServiceNow workflows to perform operations on ServiceNow instance, by using activities provided in the ServiceNow activity package. The ServiceNow activity package includes a default set of activities that provide functionality for the following:
- Adding new records
- Modifying existing records
- Retrieving records
- Deleting existing records
For more information, see Available Built-In Activities.
How Does It Work?
This predefined workflow automates the following operations:
- Validates user credentials and logs on to the ServiceNow instance.
- Creates a record for the restore operation failure in the ServiceNow incident table.
- Sends an e-mail to the CommCell administrator with information, such as:
Alert name, alert type, CommCell name, alert criteria that was met, date and time of the alert condition was detected, CommCell user who initiated the operation, Job ID assigned by the Job Manager, status of the operation, time the operation started and ended, error code for job failure reason, reason for failure, and name of the backup set.
Before You Begin
- To automatically run the Demo_ServiceNowCreateIncident workflow in case of a restore operation failure, you must configure an alert notification. You can also configure an email on the Notification Type(s) Selection page to automatically send the summary of the restore operation failure to the CommCell administrator.
For more information on how to set up alerts for workflows, see Workflow Notifications.
- ServiceNow instance is integrated with Commvault and has at least one active user.
- Access the ServiceNow using the ServiceNow instance URL and register Commvault with the ServiceNow instance for OAuth authorization. For more information, go to the ServiceNow website, OAuth Setup.
- Create an OAuth token on ServiceNow. For more information, go to the ServiceNow website, OAuth Setup.
- In the ServiceNowLogin activity, enter the created OAuth token details and user credentials. For more information, see Available Built-In Activities.
- The workflow Demo_ServiceNowCreateIncident workflow is enabled. For more information, see Workflow Operations - Enable/Disable a Workflow.
Note: By default, the Demo_ServiceNowCreateIncident workflow is disabled.
- From the CommCell Console ribbon, click Alerts.
- In the Alerts dialog box, click Add.
- On the General Information page, enter a name for the alert in the Display Name box.
- In the Category list, click Job Management and in the Type list, click Data Recovery, and then click Next.
- Select the clients or client groups that you want to associate with this alert, and click Next.
- Select Job Failed as the alert criteria to be used, and click Next.
- On the Notification Type(s) Selection page, click the Workflow tab.
- To enable the alert to automatically run the workflow.
- Select the Select [Workflow] for notification check box.
- In the Workflow to run list, select the Demo_ServiceNowCreateIncident workflow.
A table with Name, Value, and Type columns is displayed. The Name and Type columns are populated with inputs defined in the workflow.
- In the Value column, select a value for the input from the list, as shown in the table.
The display name of the alert.
<ALERT CATEGORY - ALERT TYPE>
The type of alert.
The name of the CommCell.
The alert criteria that was met.
The date and time the alert criteria was detected.
The CommCell user who initiated the operation.
The Job ID assigned by the Job Manager.
The status of the operation.
The time the operation started.
The time the operation ended.
The error code for the job pending or job failure reason.
The reason for failure.
The name of the backup set.
- Review your selections on the Summary page, and click Finish.
After the alert is set up, if there is a restore operation failure, the workflow is run automatically, and a record is created on ServiceNow.
Last modified: 11/14/2018 9:58:29 PM