Adding an Automatic Synthetic Full Backup Schedule to a Schedule Policy
You can add an automatic synthetic full backup schedule to a schedule policy. The synthetic full backup schedule will apply to all jobs associated with the schedule policy.
Before You Begin
- You must Create a data protection schedule policy.
- A full backup job and subsequent incremental backup jobs or differential backup jobs must exist before a synthetic full backup job can run. For information about how synthetic full backups are created, see Synthetic Full Backups.
- If an automatic synthetic full backup job fails, the next attempt happens after 24 hours.
- If a manual synthetic full backup job is run for subclients associated with an automatic schedule, the schedule is skipped and the next job runs based on the value in the Run Synthetic Full backups every X days option or the Run Synthetic Full backups based on the storage policy’s extended retention rules option.
- Open your schedule policy:
- From the CommCell Browser, go to Policies > Schedule Policies.
- From the Schedule Policies pane on the right, right-click the schedule_policy and click Edit.
- Under Tasks, click Add.
The Backup Task Options dialog box appears.
- On the Backup Options tab, click Synthetic Full.
Note: The Run Incremental Backup option is not supported for automatic synthetic full schedules.
- On the Schedule Pattern tab, type a name in the Schedule Name box and click Automatic.
- On the Synthetic Full sub-tab, select one of the following options:
- Run Synthetic Full backups every X days. Defines the number of days that should pass between automatic synthetic full backups.
- Run Synthetic Full backups based on the storage policy’s extended retention rules. Defines the number of days that should pass between synthetic full backup jobs based on the storage policy’s extended retention rules defined by the user. If extended retention rules are not configured, then synthetic full backup jobs will run every 30 days.
Note: Even if extended retention rules are configured and set to retain full backups that are less than 7 days (for example, Hourly Full backups or Daily Full backups), the synthetic full backup jobs will not run more frequently than once every 7 days.
A storage policy’s extended retention rules may be defined in the following two settings in the CommCell Console:
- Extended Retention Rules for Full Backups (CommCell Console > Storage Policy > Storage Policy Copy > Properties > Retention)
- Automatically select Full Backups at frequency (CommCell Console > Storage Policy > Properties > Selective Copy)
Note: The Synthetic Full Backup sub-tab is available after Synthetic Full is selected from the Backup Options tab.
- Click OK.
What to Do Next
If you want to view the jobs that are associated with this schedule policy, see Viewing Jobs Associated with a Schedule Policy.
Last modified: 1/22/2019 6:15:03 PM