Checking Network Performance
The Network Performance Test Tool checks the bandwidth that is available between client computers. The tool provides three modes of operation:
This mode tests the bandwidth between two clients. You can set some test values, such as protocol, buffer sizes, IP addresses, and port numbers. Test results are delivered in the form of an email containing summary information with log files attached.
For instructions, see Testing Network Performance Between Two Clients.
This mode tests the bandwidth between a client and a MediaAgent to which the client transmits data when making primary copies. Test results are delivered by an email message with attached CSV and compressed (.7z) log files.
For instructions, see Testing Network Performance Between a Client and Its Associated MediaAgents.
- Between MediaAgents in a Storage Policy
This mode tests the bandwidth between one or all MediaAgents in a storage policy that have a defined relationship for exchanging data. Test results are delivered by an email message with attached CSV and zipped log files.
For instructions, see Testing Network Performance Between MediaAgents in a Storage Policy.
The tool uses the CvNetworkTestTool GUI workflow. You can obtain the workflow from the Commvault Store.
Log Files and Test Results
- The log files generated by the tool are saved in the following directory: Installation_Directory\Temp.
- Test results are sent by email to the address configured in the CommCell Console for the user account that you used when logging on to the CommCell Console.
- The Network Performance Test Tool returns the following network details:
- Data Transferred (MB) is the total amount of data that the test transferred between the two host machines, in the direction indicated.
- Time Taken (secs) is the total time required to perform the test, in seconds.
- Throughput (MB/sec) is the volume of data per unit time, calculated as Data Transferred ÷ Time Taken.
Last modified: 6/14/2019 8:43:05 PM