Creating a Cloud Storage Library
You can create a cloud library from the CommCell Console.
Before You Begin
- Verify Cloud storage support.
For more information on supported devices, see Supported Cloud Storage Products.
- Purchase your cloud storage account and acquire the access credentials.
For recommendations on cloud account purchase, see Cloud Storage Building Block Guide.
- From the CommCell Browser, expand Storage Resources.
- Right-click Libraries, point to Add, and then click Cloud Storage Library.
The Add Cloud Storage dialog box appears.
- In the General tab, enter the following information:
- Name: Enter the name of the cloud storage library.
- Type: Select the type of the cloud storage server.
- MediaAgent: Select the MediaAgent you want to use.
- Access information: Enter the credentials to access the cloud storage library.
- You can acquire the access credentials from your cloud storage vendor.
- The access information for cloud storage devices varies for each server type. For a list of server types and their access information, see Add / Edit Cloud Storage (General).
- The credentials must not contain blank spaces or other special characters.
- For a vendor that supports Amazon S3 such as Scality, you must select Amazon S3 from Type, and then, under Access Information, enter the credentials of that vendor.
- When you create a cloud library, if you select a cloud storage server that is used for an existing cloud library from Type, the following occur:
If you enter the same credentials in Access Information, then the cloud device of the existing cloud library gets associated with this new cloud library.
If you select a different MediaAgent from MediaAgent, then the MediaAgent that you select is added as a new controller for the existing cloud device.
- When recovering deduplicated data from archive/cold cloud storage, all the volumes associated with the Deduplication Database (DDB) are recalled. Therefore it is recommended that the DDB must be sealed periodically (for example every six months) to reduce the amount of data that is recalled.
- If the MediaAgent accesses the cloud library using a proxy, click the Advanced tab, select the Proxy Server check box, and then enter the proxy server access information.
- Click OK.
The new cloud storage library appears in the CommCell Browser under Storage Resources > Libraries and also under Storage Resources > MediaAgents > MediaAgent.
- If the cloud connection is through a high-speed network of about 10 Gigabits/sec or higher, then you can get the maximum performance for cloud-based backup and restore operations by tuning certain performance parameters. For more information, see Cloud Connection Performance Tuning.
- If the cloud storage is configured with deduplication, then you can configure to prune the data from the cloud storage as soon as the backup jobs associated with that DDB meets the retention rules without sealing the DDB. For more information, see Configuring Micro Pruning on Cloud Storage.
- By default, data is transferred through secured channels using HTTPS protocol. If you need to use HTTP, just add 'HTTP' to the service host name displayed in the Service Host option during configuration. See FAQ: Can I use HTTP instead of HTTPS for Configuring a Cloud Library for additional information.
Last modified: 12/9/2019 9:35:42 PM