Adding Subclient Content
You can define discovery rules to automatically assign instances to subclient content. This feature is useful in environments where instances are added, removed, or relocated on a frequent basis, or when you want to manage groups of similar instances using different subclients.
You can also browse for and select instances or other Google Cloud Platform (GCP) objects.
- If an instance is added by browsing and selecting the instance display name, discovery is performed based on the GUID for the named instance. If that instance is later restored in place from a backup, a new GUID is generated, and that instance is no longer included for backups. To include that instance, you must remove the old content rule, then add a new rule or use a name pattern for the instance.
- If an automatic discovery rule for a subclient identifies an entity that cannot be found, a backup job for the subclient fails. For example, if a rule points to a host that has been retired, that is treated as a failure during discovery, and the backup job fails.
- To enable backup jobs to continue when an entity is not found, add the bAllowMissedContent additional setting on the Virtual Server Agent proxy and set the value to true.
- To generate a warning message when a content entity or rule does not return any results, add the bWarnEmptyContentRule additional setting on the Virtual Server Agent proxy and set the value to true.
- For steps to add an additional setting, see Add or Modify an Additional Setting.
- From the CommCell Browser, expand Client Computers > virtualization_client > Virtual Server > Google Cloud Platform > backup_set.
- Right-click the subclient and then click Properties.
- In the Subclient Properties dialog box, click the Content tab.
- Browse or define a rule to select an object:
To browse for an object:
- Click Browse.
- Select a view from the list at the top left of the Browse dialog box. You can select objects at any level to include instances for the selected object.
- By Region: Browse and select regions or instances.
- By Zone: Browse and select zones or instances.
- Click OK.
To define a rule:
- Click Add.
- In the Rule Group box, select the rule type from the drop-down list and enter the appropriate information in the box on the right:
- Instance Name /Pattern: Enter a pattern (for example, Test* to identify instances for which the instance name begins with "Test").
- Region: Enter the exact name of the region or a pattern (for example, asia* to identify all regions in Asia).
- Zone: Enter the exact name of the zone.
- To define multiple rules in a rule group, click + and define another rule. The following options are available for a rule group with multiple rules:
- If you define multiple rules in a rule group, you can indicate whether instances are selected when they match all of the rules (selected by default), or when they match any of the rules.
- To exclude instances based on any of the criteria, you can use the Does Not Equal operator for one or more of the rules in a rule group. (For rule groups with a single rule, the only operator you can use is Equals.)
For simple rules defined in the Contents of subclient list (not in a rule group), instances are selected if they match any of the rules defined for the subclient.
- Click OK.
The rules you defined and the objects you selected appear in the Contents of subclient list on the Content tab.
- Click Preview to view all instances identified by the rules or selections you have made. These instances will be backed up when you perform a backup for the subclient.
- Click OK.
Last modified: 7/26/2019 8:19:04 PM