Accelerating Backups to HPE Catalyst Storage Library
When client computers are configured to back up data to a HPE Catalyst Storage Library the data is routed through the storage policy configured in the subclient from which the backup is started. Thus the data is sent to the MediaAgent first and then from the MediaAgent it is transmitted to the HPE Catalyst Storage library. If necessary, the client can be configured to directly send the data to the configured HPE Catalyst Storage library. This will speed-up the backup, and may be useful for roaming clients, like laptop backups.
Before You Begin
Install the Storage Accelerator package on the Client computer.
- Install the package using the installation package. See Installing Commvault Locally on Windows Computers Using the Installation Package for more information.
- During the installation, from the Select Packages dialog box, click Tools and then select Storage Accelerator.
- Storage Accelerator package is available for Windows and Linux clients.
- For other clients, install the entire MediaAgent software on the client. For a list of supported operating system versions, see MediaAgent - System Requirements.
- To the Client computer, add the EnableCloudAccelarator additional setting as shown in the following table.
For instructions on adding additional settings from the CommCell Console, see Adding or Modifying Additional Settings from the CommCell Console.
Tip: Create a client computer group and add all the client computers that have the Storage Accelerator package installed to accelerate backups to HPE Catalyst Storage. Add the above additional setting to the client computer group.
- Configure a HPE Catalyst Storage library using an appropriate MediaAgent as described in HPE StoreOnce Catalyst Library - Configuration.
Important: Storage acceleration is supported for a library with 1 mount path. Ensure that there is only one mount path configured for the library.
To view the mount path associated with the HPE StoreOnce Catalyst Library, from the CommCell Browser, expand to Storage Resources | Libraries | <HPE StoreOnce Catalyst Library>. The mount path will be displayed on the right-pane.
- Create a Storage Policy using the MediaAgent / HPE Catalyst Storage library as the data path in the storage library.
See Storage Policy - Getting Started for more information.
Important: Ensure that there is only one data path associated with the primary storage policy copy.
To view the data paths, from the CommCell Browser, expand Policies | Storage Policies | <Storage_Policy> | <Primary Copy>. Right click the primary copy and then click Properties | Data Paths tab.
- Associate the Storage Policy with the sub client used to backup data from the client.
- Run a backup from the subclient.
The backup data will be sent directly to the HPE Catalyst Storage library.
Last modified: 4/24/2019 4:07:23 PM