Converting to VMware from Hyper-V
When restoring a Hyper-V virtual machine from backup, you can choose to restore the VM as a VMware VM.
You can perform VM conversions from streaming backups, from secondary copies, or from IntelliSnap backup copies. You cannot perform a conversion from a Snap copy.
Before You Begin
- Configure a VMware hypervisor.
- If the Auto option is selected and the disk operating system type cannot be determined from the configuration file, the job will fail. The job can be resubmitted by selecting the proper OS during the restore.
- From the navigation pane, go to Solutions > Virtualization.
The Hypervisors tab appears.
- On the Hypervisors tab, click the Hyper-V hypervisor for the source VMs.
The hypervisor details page appears. The VM groups area displays summary information for any existing VM groups.
- In the VM groups area, click Restore for the VM group that contains the virtual machine.
- In the Select restore type page, select Full virtual machine to restore one or more full virtual machines.
- In the Restore page, expand the tree on the left and select the objects to be restored on the right. Select an item or click on an entry in the Name column to browse within an item.
In the top right corner of the page, a "Showing" message indicates what backup data is being displayed. You can click the down arrow beside this message and select any of the following options:
- Show latest backups: Only display data for the most recent backups.
- Show backups as of a specific date: Only display data up to the date you specify.
- Show backups for a date range: Only display data within the data range you specify.
The Restore options dialog box appears.
- Specify the requested information:
- From the Restore as list, select VMware vCenter.
- From the Destination hypervisor list, select a VMware hypervisor.
- Optional: By default, the preferred VSA proxy for the hypervisor is used for the restore. You can select a different proxy from the Proxy list.
- For Destination host, click Browse and select the ESX server.
- From the Datastore list, select a datastore for the restored VM and disks.
- For Operating system, select the VM operating system.
- From the Resource pool list, select a resource pool.
- For VM folder path, click Browse to select the destination folder.
- For Network settings, you can map the network for source VMs to a different network for destination VMs.
- For IP address settings, you can map IP addresses as described in IP address settings.
- Click Next.
- Select Power on VMs after restore to start the VM automatically.
- To delete an existing virtual machine and replace it with the restored VM, select Overwrite VMs if they already exist.
- From the Disk Provisioning list, select Original (the default) or select a specific disk format.
- From the Transport mode for VMware list, use Auto (the default) or select a transport mode.
- Click Submit to run the restore job.
Last modified: 11/22/2019 8:47:19 PM