Configuring the Windows Firewall on Search Engine Nodes
Use the Windows Firewall feature to prevent unauthorized network communication with the Search Engine node.
Before You Begin
You will need to obtain the following information before you can accomplish this procedure:
Search Engine Node Port Numbers
This procedure requires configuring rules in the Windows Firewall settings to deny unauthorized access to the port number used by the Search Engine node. Therefore, you must have the port numbers used by each Search Engine node in your CommCell Environment. You can locate this information from the CommCell Console:
- Open the CommCell Console.
- In the CommCell Browser, click to expand Storage Resource > Search Engines, and then click a Search Engine cloud.
- In the Search Engine Cloud tab, right-click the name of the Search Engine node, and then click Properties.
In the Search Engine Node Properties dialog box under the General tab, the Search Engine port number is listed as Base Port.
IP Addresses of Search Engine Components
In order to allow network communication between the Search Engine node and the CommCell components required to facilitate content indexing and search operations, you must have the full computer name of each of the following components in your CommCell:
- CommServe host
- Other nodes in the same Search Engine cloud
- Web Servers
- For each Search Engine node in your CommCell environment, log on to the Search Engine node.
- Open Windows Firewall with Advanced Security. See Microsoft documentation for your version of Microsoft Windows.
- Create a new Inbound Rule with the following configurations:
Protocol and Paths
Specify Local Port
Search Engine base port. To locate the base port for a Search Engine node, refer to the preceding Search Engine Node Port Numbers section.
Select Allow the connection if it is secure.
Add the full computer name of each computer in your CommCell environment that is required for content indexing and search operations:
- Other Search Engine nodes in the same cloud
- Web Servers
- Compliance Search servers
- Turn on Windows Firewall on the Search Engine node.
- Repeat this procedure for all other Search Engine nodes in your CommCell environment.
Last modified: 7/2/2018 4:03:04 PM