Getting Started with 3DFS
Step 1: Review Requirements and Supported Features
The 3DFS server is supported only on Windows and Linux MediaAgents.
Refer to the following information to learn more about the requirements for 3DFS, and the supported features:
- System Requirements
Note: 3DFS supports Red Hat Enterprise Linux version 6.x and later.
- License Requirements
Step 2: Install the MediaAgent
The 3DFS server package is installed as part of the MediaAgent installation.
Review each of the following topics to prepare for the installation and to select the installation method that is most appropriate for your environment.
- Prepare your environment for the installation as described in Plan the MediaAgent Installation.
- Gather the information that you must provide during the installation as described in the preinstallation checklist for the MediaAgent on Windows and UNIX.
- Review the most commonly used methods to install the MediaAgent in Installation Methods.
- Review the tasks that you must perform after the installation in Postinstallation Tasks for the MediaAgent.
Step 3:Identify the Required NFS Server
Windows and Linux
Step 4: Install NFS-Ganesha
Install NFS-Ganesha to enable the following features:
- NFS v4
- CIFS shares
- Refresh on Backup feature
- 3DFS ACLs
These features are supported only on a Linux MediaAgent that has NFS-Ganesha installed on it.
NFS-Ganesha is preinstalled on the File Recovery Enabler virtual machine (VM). For instructions to deploy a File Recovery Enabler VM, see Deploying a File Recovery Enabler for Linux.
The Commvault 3DFS solution supports NFS-Ganesha version 2.5.1, 2.6.3.
You can download the NFS Ganesha version that Commvault recommends from the Download Center. Go to the Download Center.
Note: The installation of nfs-ganesha RPM may result in the following dependency error. In this case, obtain and install the required RPMs for the dependencies: jemalloc and libntirpc. These RPMs are available online from various sources.
error: Failed dependencies: libjemalloc.so.1()(64bit) is needed by nfs-ganesha-2.2.0-6.el7.x86_64 libntirpc.so.1()(64bit) is needed by nfs-ganesha-2.2.0-6.el7.x86_64
Step 5: Install SAMBA
If you want Windows users to access the 3DFS network share, then you must enable SAMBA.
- Install SAMBA.
Commvault supports a stable version of SAMBA 4.8.3.
- Verify that you have installed the following packages on the MediaAgent. CIFS support is enabled by default when you install these packages on the MediaAgent.
Step 6: Enable the CIFS and SMB Protocol for 3DFS Network Shares
If you want Windows clients to access the 3DFS network share, then you need to add the Linux MediaAgent to the Active Directory. For more information, see Enabling the CIFS and SMB Protocol for NFS ObjectStore Shares.
Step 7: Prepare for Your First Restore
- Create a 3DFS share on the MediaAgent, see Manage 3DFS Shares.
If you enabled the Samba server along with the NFS-Ganesha server, CIFS shares for the backup data are automatically created.
- To report and analyze critical data about your CommCell operations, see Reports Overview.
Step 8: Perform Your First Restore
Last modified: 9/27/2019 10:38:51 AM