Configuring Multiple Streams for Backups
The Multi-Streaming feature enables multiple data streams per subclient for data protection operations. This allows backups of multiple paths in a subclient to run concurrently, as part of the same job, thus reducing the total number of running jobs. This feature is dependent on the number of available resources (drives) and the type of file server you are using. Configuring multiple streams is useful in the following scenarios:
- A subclient contains multiple data paths.
- A subclient is configured to back up the entire file server.
- The actual number of concurrent backup streams employed during a backup job is limited by the number of subclient content paths. The number of available resources will be limited if other subclients are also using the same Storage Policy or a specific content path requires more time for backup.
- NetApp IntelliSnap backups - Subclients with multiple content paths on the same volume will only use a single stream per volume when cataloging the snapshot.
- Isilon backups - You can use multiple streams to backup individual content paths to increase the speed of backup operations. For more information see, Isilon Multi-Streaming Backups.
- From the CommCell Browser, go to Client Computers > client > NDMP > backup_set.
- In the right pane, right-click the subclient, and then click Properties.
- On the Advanced Options tab, in the Number of Data Readers box, type or select the number of data streams.
- On the Storage Device tab, in the Storage Policy list, click a storage policy name.
Note: The number of streams configured in the storage policy should be equal to or greater than the specified Number of Data Readers.
- Click OK.
Last modified: 8/22/2018 8:11:30 PM