Migrating TSM Data to ObjectStore
Using the ThirdParty Migration app, you can migrate any backup jobs that can be restored as files from an IBM Spectrum Protect, previously called Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) client to the ObjectStore. The app restores the TSM backup jobs to the staging client, and initiates the backup schedules for migration to ObjectStore.
Migration is currently not supported for TSM 5.x version.
Note: We migrate the third-party backups as files (file system data) from TSM.
Before You Begin
- Install the File System Agent on the TSM Command Client, which is the server where you will run the TSM admin (dsmadm) and dsmc commands.
- Choose a staging client that has TSM and Commvault File system agent installed.
You can choose either a Windows or a Linux client as the staging client for the migration. For example, if you are migrating data from Linux client, use a staging client on Linux. For additional prerequisites, contact Commvault support.
- Configure the ObjectStore for Migration.
When you create the ObjectStore client, choose a storage policy that has the required retention settings for the migration.
- Note the staging path that you configured on the ObjectStore client. Import the ThirdPartyMigration app from Commvault Store. For more information, see Importing an App.
- Access the ThirdParty Migration app. For instructions to run the app, see Running an App.
- In the Server Configuration tab, click Add Server.
The Select Backup Product window appears.
- In the Select Product box, select TSM, and then click Next.
The Enter Migration Settings window appears.
- Provide the following inputs, and then click Next.
- TSM Server - Name of TSM backup server.
- TSM User - The admin user account for the TSM backup server.
- TSM User Password - Password for the admin user account.
- Select TSM Command Client - The name of the server where you run the TSM admin commands (dsmadm) and dsmc restore commands.
- TSM Install Path on Command Client - The path where you installed the TSM software on the command client. For example, C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM.
- Migration WorkSpace on WorkFlowEngine (Commserve, where the WorkflowEngine package is installed) - Create a folder under any one of the drives (example, D:\). This folder stores the TSM restore file list (.txt file) which is passed to the dsmc restore command and the TSM client sqliteDB files (.db-shm, .db-wal and .db files/tsmclient_contents.csv).
- Select Staging Client - Name of the staging client that you configured on the ObjectStore client. The staging client should also be TSM client/server from where you can restore the backed up data for migration to ObjectStore.
- TSM Install Path on Staging Client - The path where you installed the TSM software on the staging client. For example, C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM.
- Use Latest Data to Restore - Select to restore the latest TSM data.
- Number of Versions to Restore - Select the number of versions to restore. For example, if you select the number of versions as 2, only the two TSM file versions will be restored.
- In the Select Migration ObjectStore box, select the name of the ObjectStore client, and then click Finish.
The TSM backup server is listed under Backup Server Configuration.
- Click Load Jobs for the TSM backup server.
- In the Select client box, select one or more TSM clients for which you want to load the backup jobs, and then click OK.
- Click the Job Details tab.
You can view a list of backup jobs for the selected clients.
- To change the client , in the Select Client box, select a different TSM client, and then click Apply.
- To start migration select the backup jobs, and then click Start Migration.
The status column for the selected backup jobs, will display the status as In Progress. You can also view the migration progress for the backup jobs in the Migration Queue tab.
- Optional:To stop the running migration operation, in the Migration Queue tab, click Stop.
Based on the backup schedules defined for the ObjectStore client, files are uploaded to the ObjectStore automatically. After upload, the files are removed from the staging location.
What to Do Next
The ObjectStore user can now access and manage the files from the Web Console.
Last modified: 2/18/2021 10:55:47 PM