Scheduling Synthetic Full Backups for Edge Drive
A synthetic full backup is a synthesized backup created from the most recent full backup and subsequent incremental and/or differential backup. The resulting synthetic full backup is identical to a full backup for the subclient.
Note: For more about synthetic full backups, see Synthetic Full Backups.
Unlike full, incremental, and differential backups, a synthetic full backup does not actually transfer data from a client computer to the backup media. Therefore, they do not use any resources on the client computer.
To schedule a synthetic full backup, create a new schedule policy for the Edge Drive client.
- From the CommCell Browser, expand Policies.
- Right-click Schedule Policies, and then click New Schedule Policy.
The New Schedule Policy dialog box appears.
- In the Name box, type a name for the schedule policy.
- From the Type list, select Data Protection.
- From the Agent Type list, select File System.
- Click Add.
The Backup Task Options dialog box appears.
- On the Backup Options tab, click Synthetic Full.
Note: The Run Incremental Backup option is not supported for automatic synthetic full schedules.
- On the Schedule Pattern tab, type a name in the Schedule Name box and click Automatic.
- On the Synthetic Full sub-tab, select one of the following options:
- Run Synthetic Full backups every X days. Defines the number of days that should pass between automatic synthetic full backups.
- Run Synthetic Full - As needed for extended retention. Defines the number of days that should pass between synthetic full backup jobs based on the storage policy’s extended retention rules defined by the user. If extended retention rules are not configured, then synthetic full backup jobs will run every 30 days.
Note: Even if extended retention rules are configured and set to retain full backups that are less than 7 days (for example, Hourly Full backups or Daily Full backups), the synthetic full backup jobs will not run more frequently than once every 7 days.
A storage policy’s extended retention rules may be defined in the following two settings in the CommCell Console:
- Extended Retention Rules for Full Backups (CommCell Console > Storage Policy > Storage Policy Copy > Properties > Retention)
- Automatically select Full Backups at frequency (CommCell Console > Storage Policy > Properties > Selective Copy)
- Run Synthetic Full - As needed to reclaim space. Automatically triggers a synthetic full backup job in order to reclaim space from backed up media.
Note: The Synthetic Full Backup sub-tab is available after Synthetic Full is selected from the Backup Options tab.
- Click OK.
- From the New Schedule Policy dialog box, click the Associations tab and select the Edge Drive client computer to associate with the schedule policy.
- Click OK.
Last modified: 4/3/2019 3:11:10 PM