Attaching a Volume to a New Amazon Instance
From Amazon instance backups, you can restore an instance volume and attach the volume to a new instance that is created during the restore operation.
As part of the restore, you can specify a connection to the Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) web service or to an Amazon Virtual Private Cloud (VPC).
- From the navigation pane, go to Protect > Virtualization.
The Virtual machines page appears.
- On the Hypervisors tab, click the hypervisor.
The hypervisor page appears. The VM groups table displays summary information for any existing VM groups.
- In the VM groups area, in the row for the VM group, click the action button , and then click Restore.
The Select restore type page appears.
- To restore from a specific copy of backup data, in the upper-right corner of the page, from the Select source list, select the copy.
If you select Automatic (default), the restore operation searches for the requested data in the primary copy, and automatically selects a different copy if the data is not found in the primary copy.
- To restore individual volumes and attach the volumes to a new instance, select the Attach volume check box.
The Restore page appears.
- Expand the tree on the left and select the objects to restore on the right.
- Select an item or click on an entry in the Name column to browse within an item.
- For hierarchical data such as files, folders, and volumes, you can click an entry in the path listing above the right pane to return to a higher level of the hierarchy.
In the upper-right corner of the page, a "Showing" message indicates what backup data is being displayed. You can click the down arrow beside this message and select any of the following options:
- Show latest backups: Only display data for the most recent backups.
- Show backups as of a specific date: Display only data up to the date that you specify.
- Show backups for a date range: Display only data within the data range that you specify.
- Click Restore.
The Restore options dialog box appears.
- Provide the requested information:
- From the Attach volume to list, select New instance.
- To restore to an instance on a different hypervisor, select the hypervisor name from the Virtualization client list.
- Optional: To use a different proxy, select the proxy from the Proxy client list.
By default, the instance volume is restored using the same proxy as the backup.
- To start the instance automatically after the restore operation completes, select the Power on instance after restore check box.
- To delete an existing volume and replace it with the restored volume, select the Unconditionally overwrite if it already exists check box.
- In the Change instance display name to box, enter the name for the new instance.
- Optional: Under Amazon instance options, for each volume that you are restoring, enter a new volume name in the Change volume name to box.
If a volume name was not specified for a volume under the source instance, the volume ID for the source volume is displayed for the volume, and the volume ID is used to name the restored volume unless you enter a different value in the Change volume name to box for the volume.
- Under Amazon cloud options, provide the following information:
- Availability zone: Select the destination zone for the new instance.
- AMI selection: Select an Amazon Machine Image (AMI) that can be used to specify the software configuration for the restored instance. Note that only Private AMIs are listed. If you want to restore using a Marketplace AMI, you will need to know the AMI ID and enter it here.
- Auto select instance type: If you clear this option, from the Instance type list, select an instance type that provides the available CPU cores and memory for the instance.
- Network: Click Browse to select an EC2 or a VPC network connection for the restored instances.
The Select network settings dialog box appears. If you select New Network Interface, the Security groups option appears on the dialog box.
- Auto select security group: If you clear this check box, from the Security groups list, select a security group for the specified network.
If you selected an existing network, leave this check box selected to automatically select the security group.
- Click Submit to run the restore job.
Last modified: 5/12/2021 6:30:03 PM