VSA Proxies and File Recovery Enablers for Linux
A Virtual Server Agent proxy (VSA proxy) manages backups for a hypervisor. A File Recovery Enabler for Linux (FREL) acts as a MediaAgent to write Linux file system backup data to storage, or to read backup data from storage.
The following use cases apply for VSA proxies and FRELs:
- Each VSA proxy must have the Virtual Server software package installed.
- For VSA proxies that support IntelliSnap, install both the Virtual Server software package and the Media Agent software package.
- A Linux MediaAgent can be automatically configured to serve as a FREL.
For more information, see Automatic Configuration of a MediaAgent as a Linux File Recovery Enabler (FREL).
- For hypervisors that support Linux proxies, you can install the Virtual Server software package on the Linux MediaAgent that is configured as a FREL, so that the same server can also serve as a VSA proxy.
Proxy Requirements by Hypervisor
- Alibaba Cloud: An Alibaba Cloud instance in the zone to be protected.
- Amazon: An Amazon instance in the region to be protected.
- Azure: An Azure virtual machine in the region to be protected.
- Google Cloud Platform: A Google Cloud Platform instance in the region to be protected.
- Nutanix AHV: A virtual machine in the Nutanix cluster.
- OpenStack: An instance in the OpenStack data center.
- Oracle Cloud Infrastructure: An Oracle Cloud Infrastructure instance.
- Oracle VM: A virtual machine hosted on an Oracle VM Server.
- Red Hat OpenShift: A Linux machine deployed in the OpenShift environment or externally.
- Red Hat Virtualization: A virtual machine in the same RHV data center.
- vCloud Director: A physical machine, or a virtual machine in vCloud or VMware.
- For VMware, the backup server where Commvault is installed is automatically selected as a default proxy. As needed, you can add additional physical servers or VMware VMs and configure them as proxies.
For more information about proxy requirements, see Virtual Server Agent (VSA) Requirements.
Last modified: 10/28/2020 5:05:25 PM