Creating a Temporary Certificate for Client Installation
For a CommServe computer to be able to generate a temporary certificate for a client, it must first have a placeholder for that client. Use these steps to create a placeholder for a new Windows client, and then generate the certificate to be used during installation.
- From the CommCell Browser, right click the Client Computers node, and then click New Client > File System > Windows.
- Create a placeholder by entering the Client Name and Host Name of the new client computer, and then clicking Next.
- Review the client details, and then click Finish.
The new client computer appears in the CommCell Browser, with a gray icon to indicate its placeholder status.
Note: If the client or the CommServe is behind a firewall, be sure to configure the network properties of these components, and then push the network configuration to the CommServe. To configure the appropriate network connection, see Direct Connections.
- On the Home tab of the CommCell Console toolbar, click Control Panel > Certificate Administration > Temp Certificate.
- Select the name of the client you created above from the Client Name list, and then click Create.
The client certificate appears in the text box.
- Click Copy to Clipboard, and then paste the contents into a new file, such as client1_cert.txt.
Note: Store the temporary certificate file where the client can access it during software installation, such as a network share or portable drive.
Important: Once you close the Temporary Certificate dialog box, the certificate cannot be retrieved. Be sure to save the file that you copied the certificate into.
- Click Close.
In the Certificate Administration dialog box, the certificate for the new client is displayed with the "active" status in the list of client certificates.
- Click OK.
- On the client computer, start the software installation process.
- When the installer requests the certificate to authenticate the new client identity, click Browse, and then navigate to the file containing the temporary certificate that you created.
- Select the client name and host name that you provided during the configuration of the placeholder in Step 2, above.
Last modified: 2/12/2019 7:10:52 PM