Restoring Mailboxes, Mailbox Items, or Messages Out of Place Using Exchange Journaling
Applies to: User Mailbox, and Journal Mailbox
By default, data is restored to the client computer from which it originated. This is referred to as an in-place restore. However, you can restore data to a different folder on the same Exchange Mailbox server from which data is backed up, or you can restore data to a different Exchange Mailbox server.
When you restore data to a different Exchange Mailbox server:
- The source and destination server must reside in the same CommCell environment.
- The destination server must have the application installed on it.
- If a mailbox is selected as the out-of-place destination, all the selected messages are restored to the Inbox of that specific mailbox.
- If a folder is selected as the out-of-place destination, all the selected messages are restored to that specific folder in the mailbox.
When you perform an out-of-place restore, the restored data inherits the rights (that is, permissions) of the parent directory.
- From the navigation pane, expand Protect > Applications > Exchange.
The list of all Exchange clients appears.
- Click the Exchange client that contains the mailbox that you want to restore.
The Exchange client page appears.
- Right-click the mailbox that you want to restore, and then click Restore.
The Backup content page appears.
- From the Restore to list, select Mailbox.
- Define where the messages are restored by doing one of the following:
- If you want to restore to a different folder on the same server, clear the Restore to Same Folder check box, and then type the destination path.
- If you want to restore to a different Exchange Mailbox server, from the Destination host list, select the name of the appropriate server.In the When message exists area, do either of the following:
- To overwrite any existing messages, select Overwrite unconditionally.
- To prevent an item that already exists from being overwritten, select Skip.
- Journal Mailbox: To restore only the actual message, select the Remove journal report if it exists on restore check box.
The journal report is removed when the message is restored.
- Click Submit.
Last modified: 10/30/2019 2:33:09 AM