Restoring Messages to a PST File Using Exchange Journaling
Applies to: User Mailbox, and Journal Mailbox
You can restore a mailbox, a message, or a mailbox item to a PST file.
The size of the PST file is limited based on the version of Microsoft Outlook that you use. For Microsoft Outlook 2007, the PST cannot be larger than 15 GB. For Microsoft Outlook 2010 or later, the PST file cannot be larger than 30 GB. If you try to restore a data set that is larger than the PST size limit, the restore will fail. You can choose to restore large data sets to multiple PST files that are less than or equal to the value that you define. These PST files cannot be larger than 45 GB.
- From the navigation pane, expand Protect > Applications > Exchange.
The list of all Exchange clients appears.
- Click the Exchange client that contains the mailbox that you want to restore.
The Exchange client page appears.
- Right-click the mailbox that you want to restore, and then click Restore.
The Backup content page appears.
- From the Restore to list, select PST file.
- From the Destination host list, select the name of the appropriate client computer.
- In the Destination path box, type the path to the location where you want to restore the PST file, including the PST file name with the .pst extension.
If you want to restore the PST file to a network location, type the UNC path to the location, including the PST file name with the .pst extension.
- If you want to restore a large data set to multiple PST files, select the Limit PST size to check box, and then enter a size value.
The size limit cannot be greater than 45 GB.
- Do either of the following:
- If you want to create a single PST file that is common to all users, select Create common PST for all users, and then select either a merged folder hierarchy for all users or a preserved folder hierarchy for each user.
- To create separate PST files for each individual user, select Create a folder per user using, and then select the appropriate folder naming convention from the corresponding list.
- Journal Mailbox: To restore only the actual message, select the Remove journal report if it exists on restore check box.
The journal report is removed when the message is restored.
- Click Submit.
Last modified: 10/30/2019 2:35:29 AM