Migrating BackupExec Data to ObjectStore
Using the ThirdParty Migration app, you can migrate backup jobs that can be restored as files from a BackupExec client to the ObjectStore. The app restores the Backup Exec backup jobs to the staging client and initiates the backup schedules for migration to the ObjectStore.
Note: We migrate the third-party backups as files (file system data) from Backup Exec.
Before You Begin
- Configure the ObjectStore for Migration.
The Staging Client that you configured on the ObjectStore must be a computer which has Backup Exec and the Commvault Filesystem Agent installed. The staging client will be used to store the data restored from the Backup Exec application. The restored data is then backed up into the ObjectStore.
You can choose either a Windows or a Linux client as the staging client for the migration. For example, if you are migrating data from Linux client, use a staging client on Linux.
- Set up a Command Client.
Command client is the server where you run the BackupExec commands (Get-BExxxxx (BEMCLI) commands). Verify that you have the Commvault Filesystem Agent installed on this server.
- Import the ThirdPartyMigration app from Commvault Store. For more information, see Importing an App.
For additional prerequisites, contact Commvault support.
- Access the ThirdParty Migration app. For instructions to run the app, see Running an App.
- In the Server Configuration tab, click Add Server.
The Select Backup Product window appears.
- In the Select Product box, select BackupExec, and then click Next.
The Enter Migration Settings window appears.
- Provide the following inputs, and then click Next.
- BackupExec Server Name - Name of the BackupExec backup server.
- Select Command Client - The name of the server where you run the BackupExec Commands (Get-BExxxx (BEMCLI) commands). Verify that you have the Commvault File System Agent installed on this server.
- The Command Client Host User - The admin user account for the command host, where you run the BackupExec commands.
- The Command Client Host Password - The password for the admin user account.
- Installation Path on Command Client - The path where you installed the BackupExec application on the Command Client. For example, C:\Program Files\Veritas\Backup Exec.
- Select Staging Client: Name of the Staging Client that you configured on the ObjectStore client. The staging client must be the server where you can restore the backed up data for migration to ObjectStore.
- Max Parallel Jobs - Select the maximum number of backup jobs that you can run in parallel.
- Collect Server Details - Select if you want the report to collect the BackupExec server details.
- In the Select Migration ObjectStore box, select the name of the ObjectStore client, and then click Finish.
The BackupExec backup server is listed under Backup Server Configuration.
- Click Load Jobs for the BackupExec backup server.
- In the Select client box, select one or more BackupExec clients for which you want to load the backup jobs, and then click OK.
- In the Start and End Date boxes, enter the start and end date range of the backup jobs that you want to view, and then click Next.
- Click the Job Details tab.
You can view a list of backup jobs for the selected clients.
- To change the client , in the Select Client box, select a different BackupExec client, and then click Apply.
- To start migration select the backup jobs, and then click Start Migration.
The status column for the selected backup jobs, will display the status as In Progress. You can also view the migration progress for the backup jobs in the Migration Queue tab.
- Optional:To stop the running migration operation, in the Migration Queue tab, click Stop.
Based on the backup schedules defined for the ObjectStore client, files are uploaded to the ObjectStore automatically. After upload, the files are removed from the staging location.
What to Do Next
The ObjectStore user can now access and manage the files from the Web Console.
Last modified: 2/18/2021 9:14:38 PM