Changing and Hiding the Microsoft SQL Server Instance Name
The default name applied to a Microsoft SQL server instance in the CommCell environment is COMMVAULT, which is easily identifiable. So, you must enhance your data security by changing and hiding the instance name. Additionally, you must hide the CommServe database.
Here are the steps to change and hide the SQL server instance name:
- Uninstall the CommServe software.
- Uninstall the existing SQL server instance.
- Create a registry value containing the new SQL instance name.
- Install a new SQL server instance.
- Install the CommServe software.
- Hide the SQL Server instance.
- Hide the CommServe database.
Note: Reinstalling the CommServe server with a different SQL instance name does not affect past or future Commvault software operations. Because, Commvault software server components that are installed on the CommServe server work through an ODBC connection. Additionally, remote server components or clients work through installed services on their respective hosts and do not communicate directly with the CommCell databases.
Last modified: 7/24/2020 7:31:34 PM