Converting to OpenStack from VMware
When restoring a virtual machine from a backup for VMware, you can convert the VM to OpenStack.
This feature can be used to migrate workloads to OpenStack.
This option is available from the Command Center or from the CommCell Console.
Before You Begin
- Add a hypervisor for OpenStack.
- Ensure that the VMware source VMs meet the requirements in Preparing VMs for Conversion to OpenStack, and then perform a new backup of the source VMs.
- If an instance or image is added to subclient content or to a filter by browsing and selecting the display name, discovery is performed based on the GUID for the instance or image. If that instance or image is later restored in place from a backup, a new GUID is generated, and that instance or image is no longer identified correctly. To identify that instance or image, you must remove the old rule, then add a new rule or use a name pattern to select the instance or image.
- If the user specified for the virtualization client does not have permission to create or delete network ports, the restore fails. See VOPS0002: Restore fails with error "Failed to create port with request".
- From the navigation pane, go to Solutions > Virtualization.
The Hypervisors tab appears.
- On the Hypervisors tab, click the hypervisor for the source VMs.
The hypervisor details page appears. The VM groups area displays summary information for any existing VM groups.
- In the VM groups area, click Restore for the VM group that contains the virtual machine.
- In the Select restore type page, select Full virtual machine to restore one or more full virtual machines.
- In the Restore page, expand the tree on the left and select the objects to be restored on the right. Select an item or click on an entry in the Name column to browse within an item.
In the top right corner of the page, a "Showing" message indicates what backup data is being displayed. You can click the down arrow beside this message and select any of the following options:
- Show latest backups: Only display data for the most recent backups.
- Show backups as of a specific date: Only display data up to the date you specify.
- Show backups for a date range: Only display data within the data range you specify.
The Restore options dialog box appears.
- Specify the requested information:
- From the Restore as list, select OpenStack.
- Optional: By default, the preferred VSA proxy for the hypervisor is used for the restore. You can select a different proxy from the Access node list.
- Select an OpenStack hypervisor from the Destination hypervisor list.
- Select Power on VMs after restore to start the OpenStack instance automatically after the conversion completes.
- To delete an existing instance and replace it with the converted instance, select Unconditionally overwrite if it already exists.
- If you are restoring multiple VMs, click the All VMs tab on the bottom left to specify configuration values for all destination instances, or the name of each instance to specify values individually. Specify the following values:
- Optional: When restoring multiple instances, select the Enable edit destination VM name check box, select Prefix or Suffix, and then enter a string to be appended to the original display name to create new destination instance names.
- Optional: To change the name of an individual instance, enter the new display name in the Instance name box.
- For Availability zone, click Browse to browse defined availability zones and select a host.
- From the Volume type list, select a volume type that is defined for the zone of the source volumes.
- From the Flavor list, select a flavor that is at or above the original configuration.
- From the Security group list, select a predefined security group that defines the required network access.
- From the Key pair list, select a key pair that identifies the ownership for the converted instance.
- From the Network interface list, select a network interface that is available in the destination.
- Click Submit to run the restore job.
Last modified: 8/13/2019 2:51:06 PM