Converting to OpenStack
When restoring a virtual machine from a backup for VMware, you can convert the VM to OpenStack.
This feature can be used to migrate workloads to OpenStack.
This option is available from the Command Center or from the CommCell Console.
You can perform VM conversions from streaming backups, from secondary copies, or from IntelliSnap backup copies. You cannot perform a conversion from a Snap copy.
Before You Begin
- Ensure that the VMware source VMs meet the requirements in Preparing VMs for Conversion to OpenStack, and then perform a new backup of the source VMs.
- Add a hypervisor for OpenStack.
- For information about the restore options for the OpenStack destination, see Options for Conversion to OpenStack.
- If an instance or image is added to subclient content or to a filter by browsing and selecting the display name, discovery is performed based on the GUID for the instance or image. If that instance or image is later restored in place from a backup, a new GUID is generated, and that instance or image is no longer identified correctly. To identify that instance or image, you must remove the old rule, then add a new rule or use a name pattern to select the instance or image.
- If the user specified for the virtualization client does not have permission to create or delete network ports, the restore fails. See VOPS0002: Restore fails with error "Failed to create port with request".
- From the navigation pane, go to Protect > Virtualization.
The Virtual machines page appears.
- On the Hypervisors tab, click the hypervisor.
The hypervisor properties page appears. The VM groups area displays summary information for any existing VM groups.
- In the VM groups area, click Restore for the VM group that contains the virtual machine.
- In the Select restore type page, select Full virtual machine to restore one or more full virtual machines.
- In the Restore page, expand the tree on the left and select the objects to be restored on the right. Select an item or click on an entry in the Name column to browse within an item.
In the top right corner of the page, a "Showing" message indicates what backup data is being displayed. You can click the down arrow beside this message and select any of the following options:
- Show latest backups: Only display data for the most recent backups.
- Show backups as of a specific date: Only display data up to the date you specify.
- Show backups for a date range: Only display data within the data range you specify.
The Restore options dialog box appears.
- Enter the restore options for the OpenStack instance.
- Click Submit to run the restore job.
Last modified: 1/8/2020 3:15:26 PM