Creating an Instant Clone for PostgreSQL
You can duplicate a source server by cloning the snapshots created during backup. This operation, referred as cloning, utilizes the cloning capability of the storage array hardware, which enables you to duplicate large servers within a short period of time.
Before You Begin
- The PostgreSQL server version on the destination client must be the same as the one in the source client.
- The PostgreSQL user in both the source and destination database servers must have the same user ID.
- The PostgreSQL Agent and the MediaAgent must be installed on the destination client.
- On the destination client where you plan to create the clone database, create a directory to be used as the mount path for the database clone files. This directory must be writable by the PostgreSQL user.
- The Clone Working Directory should have minimum space for the cloned server.
- From the navigation pane, go to Protect > Databases.
The Instances page appears.
- Click an instance.
The instance page appears.
- In the Backup sets section, click FSBasedBackupSet.
The FSBasedBackupSet page appears.
- Click Instant clone.
The Instant clone dialog box appears.
- From the Destination server list, select a client where you want to clone the server.
- From the Instance name list, select an instance that you want to clone.
- In the Recover options section, choose a backup operation to recover:
- To recover the latest backup operation, select Most recent backup.
- To recover a specific backup operation, select Point in time, and provide the date and time when that backup operation was run.
- In the Destination options section, provide the directory and port information:
- Type or browse a location for the Clone working directory. The selected instance will be cloned at this location.
- Type a port number that the selected instance will use to communicate. Verify that the port number is not in use.
- In the Clone options section, specify the time period for which you want to retain the clone.
By default, the clone environment is retained for 24 hours. Once the specified reservation period expires, the clone server is dismounted and the mount point is deleted.
- Optional: To overwrite an existing clone instance that uses the same port number as the new clone that you want to create, select the Overwrite if clone exists check box.
- Optional: In the Post clone operation section, to run a script after the clone is restored, type or browse a command file path to the script.
Last modified: 2/18/2021 7:07:14 AM