Performing an Auxiliary Copy Operation
You can perform an auxiliary copy operation to replicate the data from the primary copy to a secondary copy. You can perform an auxiliary copy operation between any two MediaAgents, regardless of their operating systems.
Before You Begin
- Verify that the storage policy on which the auxiliary copy operation is planned is associated with a subclient and client backups have been run.
For more information on how to run backups, see the documentation for the specific agent.
- You can view the list of backup jobs that are associated with a storage policy copy.
For more information, see Viewing Jobs Associated with a Storage Policy Copy.
- From the CommCell Browser, expand Policies > Storage Policies.
- Right-click the appropriate storage policy, point to All Tasks > Run Auxiliary Copy.
Optionally: From the Select Source MediaAgent list, if the source copy is configured with a shared library, you can select the source MediaAgent that is being used for creating a primary copy.
- By default, All Copies option is selected to copy data from the source copy to all secondary copies.
Select the Select A Copy, and then from the list select a secondary copy.
- To enhance the scalability of the auxiliary copy operation and for load-balancing between the CommServe and the MediaAgent resources, ensure that Use Scalable Resource Allocation check box is selected. For more information, see Scalable Resource Allocation.
- If you are upgrading to the latest service pack, then all previous auxiliary copy schedules will convert to use the Scalable Resource Allocation option. If the schedule or the schedule policy has a V10 MediaAgent, then that schedule or schedule policy is not converted to use the Scalable Resource Allocation option. However, if you have a V10 MediaAgent and a user creates a schedule or a schedule policy with the Scalable Resource Allocation option enabled, then the system will not honor this auxiliary copy optimization option.
- Also, if you disable Scalable Resource Allocation option manually, the system will automatically reset it as enabled.
- The CommServe and the MediaAgent resources are not optimally utilized if the MediaAgents are not upgraded to the latest Commvault version.
- To enhance the auxiliary copy performance by copying only those backups that are successfully verified in the data verification job, ensure that the Skip jobs that failed data verification check box is selected.
For a detailed description, see Auxiliary Copy Job Options.
- On the Job initiation tab, define whether the auxiliary copy job runs immediately or if it will be scheduled.
For more information, see Job Initiation.
- Optional: Set advanced auxiliary copy job options, click Advanced.
For more information, see Advanced Auxiliary Copy Job Options.
- Click OK.
Note: If an Install Updates job or a CommServe service restart is performed when an auxiliary copy job is running, then after the completion of the Install Updates job or service restart, the auxiliary copy job automatically picks up the new backup jobs available on the source copy.
After your auxiliary copy operation is complete, you can view the auxiliary copy job history. For more information, see Viewing Auxiliary Copy Job History.
Last modified: 12/11/2019 9:11:28 PM