Share Tape Among Backup Copies
Use the global secondary copy feature to optimally use the tape media in the following cases:
- Consolidating backups from multiple storage policy copies (disk and tape) with different retention rules on one media
- Consolidating copies of daily, weekly, or monthly backups
- Enabling efficient use of tape media for maintaining copies of backups
Your CommCell environment includes multiple storage policy copies. For auxiliary copy operations, these storage policy copies use unique media. The media is assigned to a particular storage policy copy, and no other storage policy copy can run an auxiliary copy operation on this media, even if the media has available storage space on it. The restriction on running an auxiliary copy operation is in effect until all the backups are aged off from the media.
However, if you create a global secondary copy policy, you can assign multiple storage policy copies to the same global secondary copy. In this case, multiple auxiliary copy operations can run on the same media.
The media requirement is managed based on the number of media drives configured in your CommCell environment.
To set up global secondary copy policy, use the following process:
- Ensure that a tape library is configured.
- Create Global Secondary Copy Policy
- Create a Storage Policy Copy Using Global Secondary Copy Policy
- Run an Auxiliary Copy
Last modified: 4/23/2019 7:00:38 PM