SQL Database Application Migration to a Microsoft Azure Instance
You can use the Commvault database migration feature to migrate the SQL database application to an Azure Resource Manager instance.
The migration operation is primarily used to perform a full migration of the SQL database application, which includes creating an Azure Virtual Machine and copying the SQL data.
The database application migration to Azure Resource Manager instance provides the following benefits:
- The migration operation is performed from the backups, and therefore there is no load or downtime on the source database. Also, this feature does not require any network configuration changes on the source database.
- The Azure virtual machine client is created automatically before starting the actual data migration.
You can create instances (virtual computing environments) based on Microsoft Azure Images (template). You can create an image from a predefined template, or a custom template that meets the Azure requirements.
An Azure environment includes regions for different geographical areas, and regions contain different locations referred to as availability zones. Instances are associated with regions and zones.
How It Works
When you initiate the migration operation, the Commvault software uses the SQL Server Agent to copy the SQL database application to the specified Azure Virtual Machine. It then sends the SQL database backup to Azure. The software then performs the restore operation according to the options that you choose.
Commvault software creates the new virtual machine instance in the Azure cloud.
If you need additional storage for the data, you can add a new storage device for the new or existing instance.
After the migration is complete, the Azure Virtual Machine contains the SQL instance that contains SQL database backup.
The following components are required for SQL database application migration:
- Microsoft Azure account that has an Azure Images (template) and an Azure Resource Manager instance. These are the destinations for the application and data.
- The SQL Server Agent - The agent is the access point for your SQL database that is the migration source.
- The VSA Agent for Azure - The agent is the access point for the Azure Resource Manager instance.
Last modified: 3/12/2020 11:16:38 AM