Selective Online Full Backups
You can perform a selective online full backup on the following databases:
- Oracle RAC
- SAP Oracle
A selective online full backup is a full backup that you perform when the database is online. A selective online full subclient includes the data, logs and control file. The backup is copied to a selective copy during the auxiliary copy operation, and you can restore it from the copy. The advantage of a selective online full backup is that the data and logs use the same storage policy, which means that they reside on the same media and are self-contained for long-term archiving. You can use this backup in a disaster recovery, because you do not need to locate different offsite media from multiple jobs to recover the database.
The data and logs are aged together under the same storage policy for a selective online full backup, which is different than regular full backups.
The following rules apply to selective online full backups:
- The selective online full backup job waits for currently running jobs on the same instance to complete before it starts.
- The data and archive logs use the data storage policy that you define on the subclient. Selective online full backups ignore the log storage policy that you define on the instance.
- If the data stream number that you define at the subclient level is less than the archive log stream number that you define at the instance level, the backup uses the subclient data stream number. The selective online full backup will ignore the instance level log stream number for the archive logs.
- You cannot restart or preempt selective online full backups.
- You cannot restart or preempt log backups that you submit during the selective online full backup data phase.
- Only CommCell Console archive log backups can run during the data backup phase of the selective online full job. The log backup jobs must use the selective online full backup storage policy.
- You cannot run command line archive log backups during the data backup phase of the selective online full job.
- No other data or log backup jobs can run on the same instance during the backup log phase.
- If other archive log backups run at the same time as a selective online full backup, they are forced to use the selective online full backup storage policy and they are included in the same auxiliary copy operation as the selective online full backup.
Selective online full backups are supported for selective copy and extended retention rules. For more information on selective copy, see Selective Copy. For information on extended retention rules, see extended retention rules.
Retention Rules for Selective Online Full Backups
A selective online full operation includes the data and archive logs. Any log job you start within the time frame of the selective online full operation is linked to the selective online full job. These logs and the selective online full are then considered as one entity within the software. They are copied to synchronous and selective copies together during auxiliary copy operations and are aged together. If any part of the selective online full is missing from a copy, the full backup is not considered as a valid full and is not counted as a cycle during data aging. Consider the following:
- The data from selective online full backups are eligible for extended retention rules and selective copy. Selective online full backups and all logs linked with it must be retained together on the same storage policy copy.
- The logs that are linked with a selective online full (and the logs of the selective online full) can be aged only if they are older than the oldest data that can be aged and the corresponding data of the selective online full that can be or have been aged.
- Selective online full backup jobs that are completed with errors are not retained by extended retention rules during the data aging operation.
Last modified: 5/30/2018 9:36:05 PM