Creating a User-Defined Subclient for NDMP Backup Operations
Because file servers may contain large amounts of data, you can create user-defined subclients to manage your backups. User-defined subclients are optional because a default subclient is automatically created by the software.
User-defined subclients can be used to back up the following:
- Specific file systems or a portion of a file system
- Different directories on a file server
For example, a file server has two directories that you want to back up. Create a user-defined subclient for /fs1/dir1 and another user-defined subclient for /fs1/dir2.
Before You Begin
- Review the guidelines for adding subclient content.
- If you plan to exclude some files and directories from backups, review the filter guidelines. For example, you might want to exclude system-related files which consistently fail during a backup operation.
- From the navigation pane, go to Protect > File Servers.
The File servers page appears.
- In the Name column, click the NAS client.
The NAS client properties page appears.
- In the Agents table, in the Type column, click NDMP.
The NDMP page appears.
- In the right area of the page, above the Subclients table, click Add subclient.
The Add subclient dialog box appears.
- In the Subclient name box, type a name.
- From the Backup method list, select NDMP.
- From the Plan list, select the server plan.
The plan defines the storage for the backup data, the RPO (recovery point objective), and the data retention period.
- On the Content tab, enter a path and then click the add button +.
- To exclude files and directories from backups, on the Exclusion tab, enter a path and then click the add button +.
- Click Save.
Last modified: 5/19/2020 3:34:21 AM