Excluding SQL Databases from Backups by Filtering on Database Name
You can exclude SQL databases from backups by defining filters based on how the databases are named. When you create a new SQL database, if the database name matches the filter, then the database is excluded from backups.
For example, you can configure a filter to exclude databases that have a name that begins with "test".
You cannot filter databases using a naming pattern for the following backup solutions:
- Commvault Plug-in for SQL Management Studio
- Analysis services
- SQL instances that are in a cloud
- From the CommCell Browser, go to Client Computers > client > SQL Server > instance.
- Right-click the subclient, and then click Properties.
The Subclient Properties dialog box appears.
- On the Filters tab, under Exclude database name patterns, click Add.
- To edit an existing name pattern, on the Filters tab, under Exclude database name patterns, click the name pattern, and then click Edit.
The Enter patterns box appears.
- Type the database name or the name pattern that you want to filter from the backups, and then click OK.
For example, to exclude databases with a name that contain the string "test", type *test*. Database names with string "Test" are not excluded as the filter strings are case-sensitive.
To add multiple name patterns, type each name pattern on a separate line.
- Click OK.
Databases with names that match the specified naming pattern are excluded from the backups.
You can view the list of databases that are excluded by the backup operation, from the Status tab in the Backup Job Details window.
Last modified: 2/10/2020 8:39:43 PM