You can use Commvault to protect EC2, RDS, and EKS instances running in AWS Outposts.
Commvault components can be deployed on AWS Outposts, including high-availability configurations for the CommServe, MediaAgent grids, and the access node groups.
AWS Outposts is an on-premises deployment of AWS services, infrastructure, and operations that provides hybrid cloud capabilities.
For more information about AWS Outposts, go to the AWS Outposts documentation site.
- Extend intelligent data management to AWS Outposts-hosted data.
- Protect latency-sensitive applications and store backup data on-site for rapid recovery.
- Ensure data residency needs are met for AWS Outposts backup data.
- Easily migrate between AWS region and AWS Outposts with Commvault automation.
- Extend your Disaster Recovery landscape with failover/failback between AWS region and AWS Outposts, and vice versa.
You can use Commvault to perform the following operations for EC2, RDS, and EKS instances that run in AWS Outposts:
- Streaming backup and recovery to Commvault cloud, disk, or tape libraries.
- Storage and network optimization (deduplication, compression).
- Changed-Block Tracking (CBT) backups of EBS volumes.
- Amazon cloud-native snapshot protection and recovery.
- Application-consistent protection.
- Recovery of full instance, volume, or individual files/folders.
- Sharing of snapshots across AWS regions and accounts.
- Workload auto-discovery and protection (by tag, region, zone, instance).
- End-to-end encryption of data from Outposts to backup storage.
Supported Use Cases
- Intelligent data management across all AWS regions and on-premises locations.
- Backup and recovery of EC2, RDS, and EKS instances from streaming backups.
- Retention of optimized backup copies on cloud, disk, and tape media per with business data residency needs.
- Backup and recovery of EC2, RDS, and EKS instances from EBS snapshots.
- Migration of EC2, RDS, and EKS workloads from AWS region to on-premises AWS Outposts and back.
- Migration of on-premises virtual machines (VMs) to AWS Outposts using Commvault VM conversion.
- Running Commvault components such as the CommServe, MediaAgents, and access nodes on AWS outposts for low latency or data residency needs.
- Failover of Commvault CommServe, MediaAgent and access node capability between AWS Outposts and region.
- Perform Disaster Recovery of EC2 instances and hosted databases (Microsoft SQL, Oracle, Oracle RAC, PostgreSQL, MySQL, DB2) between AWS Outposts and region.
- Amazon EC2 instances
- Amazon EBS volumes
- Amazon RDS instances (MySQL, PostgreSQL)
- Amazon EKS containers
- Amazon S3
Commvault supports Amazon VPC extensions and Local Gateway (LGW) as a means to access your AWS Outposts or on-premises infrastructure.
- Amazon EMR clusters
Last modified: 8/28/2020 6:21:35 PM