Backups for Amazon
You can perform backups automatically based on the configuration for a hypervisor or VM group, or manually for a VM group or a specific instance.
The first backup of an instance is always a full backup. By default, all subsequent backups are incremental, capturing any changes to instance data since the last backup.
You can recover instance data, even when the most recent backup was incremental.
Backups run based on the following options:
- Initial full backup: When you use Guided setup to set up the Virtualization solution, use the Back up now option to perform a backup for the default VM group.
- Scheduled incremental backups: The server backup plan that is assigned to a VM group includes a schedule for ongoing incremental backups. Those backups are performed automatically based on the schedule, without requiring any user action.
- Manual backups: You can perform on-demand backups for a VM group or for a specific instance.
If backups cannot start immediately, the backup jobs are queued.
Note: If an instance fails to back up during an IntelliSnap backup of a VM group, the backup job is marked as completed with errors.
Changed Block Tracking (CBT) Based Backups
CBT-based backups enhance the backup performance of AWS volumes. You can use CBT with streaming backups, and with the backup copy operation of IntelliSnap backups. By default, CBT is enabled when you create a new VM group. You can also enable CBT for existing VM groups.
For more information about CBT for Amazon, see Changed Block Tracking for Amazon.
What Gets Backed Up
- Active EC2 instances (whether they are turned on or turned off)
- Instance EBS volumes
- Volumes using default or custom encryption
What Does Not Get Backed Up
- Instance store volumes
- Volumes that have an AWS Marketplace product code
Note: A streaming backup or backup copy of an instance skips volumes that have an AWS Marketplace product code. If all the volumes for an instance have AWS Marketplace product codes, then the backup operation skips the entire instance. A backup operation that is performed using IntelliSnap for Amazon does include volumes that have AWS Marketplace product codes.
Last modified: 5/12/2020 8:43:33 PM