Hypervisor Configuration (Self-Service Deployments)
You can provide multi-tenant support for virtual environments using VMware or Hyper-V hypervisors. A hypervisor configuration in the Command Center represents an access point for a particular virtualization platform.
In a self-service deployment, the service provider sets up shared resources that can be used by tenants, but the tenant sets up and manages their own virtualization resources.
Use the Guided setup wizard to add your first hypervisor and enable the Virtualization solution in the Command Center. After you have enabled the Virtualization solution, you can add other hypervisors through the Virtualization solution.
Important: Provide user credentials for the tenant administrator when you configure the hypervisor.
- Hypervisor: Commvault uses this term to refer to virtualization platforms, such as VMware or Microsoft Hyper-V.
- Virtual machine (VM): Generic term for a software representation of a computer. Some platforms use other terms, such as "instance" or "container", which might have significant differences from traditional VMs.
- Access node: A machine that initiates and manages backups and restores (also called a "VSA proxy"). You can install the Virtual Server Agent (VSA) package on one or more machines, which can then manage operations across a hypervisor. Each hypervisor might have different requirements for where the VSA package is installed.
- MediaAgent: MediaAgents facilitate data movement between a virtual machine and backup storage. A MediaAgent package can be installed on physical computers or virtual machines that run different operating systems, to ensure that the MediaAgent can understand the file system of the machine that is being backed up.
- Application agent: A software package that is specific to a particular data type, such as a specific file system or database. Application agents can be installed on machines that require targeted backups, such as machines where high-transaction databases are running.
Last modified: 3/12/2020 6:18:55 PM