Backups for Alibaba Cloud
You can perform backups automatically based on the configuration for a hypervisor or VM group, or manually for a VM group or a specific instance.
The first backup of an instance is always a full backup. By default, all subsequent backups are incremental, capturing any changes to instance data since the last backup.
You can recover instance data, even when the most recent backup was incremental.
Backups run based on the following options:
- Initial full backup: When you use Guided setup to set up the Virtualization solution, use the Back up now option to perform a backup for the default VM group.
- Scheduled incremental backups: The server backup plan that is assigned to a VM group includes a schedule for ongoing incremental backups. Those backups are performed automatically based on the schedule, without requiring any user action.
- Manual backups: You can perform on-demand backups for a VM group or for a specific instance.
If backups cannot start immediately, the backup jobs are queued.
You can perform streaming backups for Alibaba Cloud. Backups are crash consistent.
Note: The image that was used to create an instance must be present when you perform a backup operation. If the image is not available when the backup is performed, a browse operation of guest files and folders from that backup fails.
What Gets Backed Up
- Active instances that are hosted or managed by an Alibaba Cloud Elastic Compute Service (ECS) account, including instances that are running or stopped
- Instance disks
What Does Not Get Backed Up
Commvault performs the following actions during a backup:
- Create snapshots of instance disks.
- Create new disks from snapshots.
- Attach new disks to the access node (VSA proxy).
- Save the instance configuration file.
- Read the data and write data to backup media.
- Detach and delete disks.
- Delete snapshots.
Last modified: 4/22/2020 1:42:29 PM