VMware Cloud on Dell EMC
You can deploy Commvault to protect workloads running on virtual machines in VMware Cloud on Dell EMC. The vSphere cluster and hosts reside on high-performance Dell EMC servers in the datacenter.
Commvault provides the following features for VMware Cloud on Dell EMC:
- Streaming and IntelliSnap backups and restores for virtual machines using vStorage APIs for Data Protection (VADP)
- Changed block tracking (CBT)
- Full, incremental, differential, and synthetic full backups
- Restores of full VMs, VMDKs (alone or attaching to a VM), and guest files and folders
- Agentless file recovery to virtual machines
The following diagram shows the components for VMware Cloud on Dell EMC:
You can use VMware Cloud on Dell EMC with Commvault Service Pack 16, or a more recent service pack or feature release.
Commvault uses the following components to protect workloads for VMware Cloud on Dell EMC:
- The CommServe system (CS) is the machine running Commvault software.
- The Virtual Server Agent (VSA) manages backups and restores for virtual machines.
- The MediaAgent (MA) handles data movement.
VMware Cloud on Dell EMC operates in the same way as an on-premises deployment of VMware, except that Dell EMC does not provide access to ESXi hosts.
- vSAN is used as a shared datastore.
- Backups use VDDK 6.7.3, which is loaded by default, or a more recent version of VDDK.
- SDDC versions: 1.10
Commvault Deployment and Configuration
For best results, deploy Commvault components on guest VMs on VMware Cloud. The CommServe software, VSA proxies, and MediaAgents can be installed on a single standalone VM, or on separate VMs.
- Create a virtualization client, entering the fully qualified domain name (FQDN) for the vCenter host name.
- Deploy Virtual Server Agent (VSA) proxies as virtual machines running in the VMware Cloud on Dell EMC.
- Add virtual machines to a subclient that is used as a target for backups.
- For IntelliSnap backups, configure the VSA subclient to use Virtual Server Agent Snap as the snap engine.
- Because there is no access to hosts, the following Commvault features are not supported for VMware Cloud on Dell EMC:
- Live VM recovery using vMotion
- Live mount
- Only HotAdd transport mode is supported.
SAN and NBD transport modes do not work with VMware Cloud on Dell EMC.
- For more information, see VMware Cloud on Dell EMC.
- For more information about IntelliSnap backups, see IntelliSnap Protection for VMs on VVol or VSAN Datastores.
Last modified: 7/31/2020 5:42:45 PM