Oracle Cloud VMware Solution
You can deploy Commvault to protect workloads running in Oracle Cloud VMware Solution. The vCenter and hosts reside on high-performance servers in the Oracle Cloud datacenter.
You can use Oracle Cloud VMware Solution with Commvault 11.20, or a more recent feature release.
Commvault includes the following components:
- The CommServe system (CS) is the machine running Commvault software.
- The Virtual Server Agent (VSA) manages backups and restores for virtual machines.
- The MediaAgent (MA) handles data movement.
VMware on Oracle Cloud operates in the same way as an on-premises deployment of VMware, except that Oracle Cloud does not provide access to hosts.
- vSAN is used as a shared datastore.
- Backups use VDDK 6.7.3, which is loaded by default, or a more recent version of VDDK.
For more information, see Oracle Cloud VMware Solution.
Commvault Deployment and Configuration
For best results, deploy Commvault components on guest VMs on VMware in Oracle Cloud. The CommServe software, VSA proxies, and MediaAgents can be installed on a single standalone VM, or on separate VMs.
- Create a virtualization client for VMware, entering the fully qualified domain name (FQDN) for the vCenter host name.
- Deploy Virtual Server Agent (VSA) proxies as virtual machines running in VMware on Oracle Cloud.
- Add virtual machines to a subclient that is used as a target for backups.
- For IntelliSnap backups, configure the VSA subclient to use Virtual Server Agent Snap as the snap engine. For more information, see IntelliSnap Protection for VMs on VVol or VSAN Datastores.
Commvault 11.20 and more recent feature releases support the following features with Oracle Cloud VMware Solution:
- Streaming and IntelliSnap backups and restores for virtual machines using vStorage APIs for Data Protection (VADP)
- Changed block tracking (CBT)
- Full, incremental, differential, and synthetic full backups
- Restores of full VMs, VMDKs (alone or attaching to a VM), and guest files and folders
- Agentless file recovery to virtual machines
- Replication from streaming or <IntellSnap> backups
- Live mount
- Live VM recovery
- File indexing (in Command Center)
- Only HotAdd transport mode and NBD transport mode are supported. SAN transport mode does not work with Oracle Cloud VMware Solution.
- When you restore a VM to a different ESXi host or cluster, you must specify the resource pool and VM folder path for the restored VM.
Last modified: 5/11/2021 3:53:46 PM