Creating an Office 365 Plan for Exchange Online
Exchange archiving plans specify which messages are archived, how long they are retained, and which messages are content indexed.
- From the navigation pane, go to Manage > Plans.
The Plans page appears.
- In the upper-right area of the page, click Create plan, and then click Exchange mailbox.
The Select an Exchange Mailbox plan page appears.
- Click Office 365 plan.
The Create Office 365 plan dialog box appears.
- In the Plan name box, enter a name for the plan.
- To enable archiving on the mailbox, move the Enable backup on archived mailbox toggle key to the right.
- Under Retention settings, specify how long to retain messages.
- If you want to define an unlimited retention period, select Retain messages indefinitely.
- If you want to define a limited number of days based on the message's received time, select Retain messages based on Received Time for, and then type the number of days that the message is retained.
- If you want to define a limited number of days based on the message's deletion time, select Retain messages based on Deletion Time for, and then type the number of days that the message is retained
- To define cleanup rules, under Cleanup settings, do the following:
- Move the Custom cleanup settings toggle key to the right.
- In the Clean up messages older than box, enter the number of days after the received time that you want to clean up messages.
- In the Clean up messages larger than box, enter the size, in kilobytes, of messages that you want to clean up.
Note: For messages to be cleaned up, both the Clean up messages older than value and Clean up messages larger than value must be met.
- Under Search settings, specify the types of data to include in searches:
- To include the bodies of emails and attachments, move the Content search toggle key to the right.
- To see previews of messages while browsing, do the following:
- Move the Pre-generate previews toggle key to the right.
- In the Preview storage location box, enter the UNC path for the network location where you want to store the preview files.
- Enter the user name and password of the service account that has write access to the network location.
- To include personally identifiable information (PII), such as Social Security Numbers and credit card numbers, do the following:
- Move the Entity search toggle key to the right.
- Select the entities to include in searches.
Only the entities that you select are detected for end-user data requests and projects that use this plan.
For more information, see Content Indexing, Personally Identifiable Information (PII) Entity Types and Detect Entities in Exchange Mailbox Data.
Last modified: 2/10/2021 9:53:09 PM