Configuring User-Defined Subclients
A default subclient is created when you install the agent. This default subclient contains all the devices along with supported file system types.
You can add additional subclients as needed to back up data within the backup set. The default subclient, skips the content you add to other subclients under the same backup set.
Best Practice: If the subclient contains /QSYS.LIB, exclude contents from the subclient. For more information see, QSYS.LIB Subclient Backup Exclusions.
To speed up the backup process and to avoid backup failures, you can filter out items which consistently fail, such as locked system objects, system libraries, and operating system objects. For information on how to set filters for backups, see Defining Filters.
After you add the failed objects to the filter, run a full backup to remove them from backups.
You can enable client-side deduplication. When you select this option, the IBM i client performs the deduplication, and then sends the data to the proxy server. This option does the following:
- Reduces the amount of data that is transferred on the network between the IBM i client and the proxy server.
- Disables compression.
Client-side deduplication is not available when you have selected *SYNCLIB (Advanced Subclient Properties dialog box, Save While Active tab, Save While Active list).
About This Task
The following subclient content options are available.
- Commvault pre-defined content that consists of one or more of the following data:
- Security objects
- Configuration objects
- IBM system libraries
- User libraries
- Documents, folders and distribution objects
- IBM directories and the user objects that are contained in the directories
- User defined content is a set of folders and directories that you define.
Configure an IBM i File System subclient to use client-side deduplication so that the IBM i client generates the deduplication signature.
When you configure this option, the client does not send the deduplicated data to the proxy server
- From the CommCell Browser, expand Client Computers > client > Proxy Client File System > backup_set.
- Right-click the backup_set, point to All Tasks, and then click New Subclient.
The Subclient Properties dialog box appears.
- On the General tab, in the Subclient Name box, type a unique subclient name.
- On the Content tab, select the data that you want to back up.
For information on the content options, see IBM i File System Agent Subclient Properties (Content).
- To include pre-defined data, select Subclient content and then select check boxes for the data to include.
- To add directories, folders, libraries and objects to the backup content select Custom subclient content and then select the directories, folders, libraries and objects that you want to include.
To back up all specified libraries at the object level select the Backup library content(s) as objects (Save while active) option. When you select this, the software makes the SYNCLIB option unavailable.
You can use wildcards to define content for a subclient. For a list of supported wildcards, see Supported Wildcards for the IBM i File System Agent Agent.
If the file or directory name that you want to add to the content contains a wildcard character, you must add an escape ("\") before the wildcard character.
The Network File System (NFS) is not included in the backup. You must manually add the directory.
Both libraries and objects
When a symbolic link is included in the subclient content, the software displays the target of the symbolic link and the link.
For information on the SAVACT options, see the IBM manual. The Commvault software does not support the *SYSDFN option.
- On the Storage Device tab, in the Storage Policy list, click a storage policy name to associate with the subclient.
Tip: To create a new storage policy, click Create Storage Policy and follow the instructions in the storage policy creation wizard.
For information on storage policy creation, see Storage Policy - Getting Started.
- On the Advanced Options tab, configure the advanced backup options.
For additional information on the advanced options, see IBM i File System Agent Subclient Properties (Advanced Options).
- To set the number of simultaneous backup data streams that the subclient can use, enter the number in the Number of Data Readers box.
- To allow multiple data reads for a single UNIX mount point during backups on this subclient, select the Allow multiple data readers within a drive or mount point check box.
- To specify a different operating system version on the destination client, enter the version number in the Target release for backup data box.
- To include library objects in the backup, in the Backup library objects section, check the box associated with the object that you want to include in the backup.
- Optional: Select the subclient options.
- Click OK to close the Subclient Properties dialog box.
Last modified: 5/21/2018 10:01:19 PM